Kick sugar summit

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, wow, wow. I started listening to Harvard psychiatrist Chris Palmer's interview from Day 1 last night as I was falling asleep and listened to the second half this morning.

Beginning at 39:53 minutes, he discusses how he supports his patients who do not respond well to pharmaceutical treatment, 40 to 50 patients to date, in starting the keto diet, getting through the adaption phase often referred to as "keto flu", and proactively preparing for the initial, intense food cravings. I need to type it up to share with our group's members. I learned so much from him.

He has been using the ketogenic diet personally for 20 years. 15 years ago, he began using it with some of his patients to help them lose weight, but they experienced other benefits too.

His discussion of treating a patient with schizoaffective disorder for the last 3 1/2 years with the keto diet absolutely amazed me. It's a hope inspiring story of what's possible when your psychiatrist thinks outside of the box. His patient went from being socially isolated to doing improv performances. (My brother was diagnosed at age 16 with schizoaffective disorder; it's a devastating condition and the medications, while helpful, too often come with awful side effects). To hear this patient's story, go back and listen to the first part of the interview.

Also of great interest in the second part of the interview was his discussion of the 1 to 1 ratio keto diet, the 4 to 1 ratio keto diet, and the two in between beginning at 54:40 minutes. For example, those who have a seizure disorder often use a 4 to 1 ratio keto diet, while someone who has a much milder condition might only need a 1 to 1 keto ratio diet.

A 4 to 1 ratio keto diet, which is more of a medical intervention rather than a diet, would contain 4 grams of fat for a 1/2 gram of protein and 1/2 gram of carbohydrate. A 1 to 1 ratio keto diet would contain 1 gram of fat for 1/2 gram of protein and 1/2 gram of carbohydrate.

For those who are carrying excess weight, some of the fat can be supplied by the body's fat reserves. For his obese patients, some can lose weight using a 1 to 1 ratio keto diet. As they lose weight, they may need to increase the ratio of their diet to stay ketogenic.

For those who are thin and have a disabling depression for example, they may need a higher ratio diet such as the 4 to 1 ratio of the keto diet, which again is a medical intervention.

For psychiatric conditions, he'll typically start them with a 1 to 1 ratio keto diet, then after a period of time, move them to a higher ratio diet, monitoring for symptom reduction along the way.

Often, the patients begin to see results with a higher ratio keto diet. Unfortunately, they didn't discuss whether or not it's possible to maintain the benefits if the patient shifts back to a lower ratio keto diet after a period of remission from symptoms. The interview ended at that point...

Great interview! I'm now a fan of Dr. Palmer, am adding him to my growing list of heros, and will begin following his work. :)

Last edited: