KIdney pain - should I worry?

rullfarm

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hello lovely people,

I had been feeling somewhat rough for a while now and thought it was grief over a family loss. However, last weekend (after a particularly spectacular party - oops) I started getting pain in my kidney area. I drank loads of water to flush out the naughty drink and wicked food but the pain got no better and I was having trouble seeing straight. I reluctantly went to the GP who asked for blood and urine tests. Today I phoned to see if there were any results and the receptionist told me to come in an collect a leaflet on Impaired Fasting Glucose and to book a blood test for four weeks time.

I have not been able to book an appointment with a doctor, I've just been given this photocopied bit of A4 about healthy eating (which I usually do anyway when no being plied with prosecco and white chocolate cheesecake) and sent packing. Whilst I'm more than happy to lose weight and give up any naughty things to eat, should I be worried that I still have pain in my kidneys? Am I actually a bit more than pre-diabetic? My BMI is about 23 so I could lose a little and my mother and brother (both obese) became type 2 so it's in the genes. I'm just worried that this relatively minor change to my lifestyle isn't going to address a more serious underlying problem.

Any advice would be much appreciated by this victim of our wonderful NHS who is totally in the dark and relying on Google to inform/scare herself.

Cheers (without the drink :D )

MaryJ

Hi rullfarm

I wouldn't wait for 4 weeks time, pain in kidney could indicate various things including urine infection.

Really you need a proper appt to discuss your urine and blood results properly, the receptionist is not the doctor.

Welcome to the forum

mary x

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi rullfarm, :)

welcome to the forum,

According to what you have written would indicate the possibility of the conman kidney stone.
Drinking plenty of water is recommended,

However your GP should have discussed the blood test with you direct and given you their opinion what is causing your pain.

Insist for a early appointment with your GP and explain your concern.

Good Luck

Roy. :)

Martina79

I told (before i got suspition of diabetes) Drs about kidney pain -first in left then on right side and noone took me seriously. now i have 90+ in blood test.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Martina79 said:
I told (before i got suspition of diabetes) Drs about kidney pain -first in left then on right side and noone took me seriously. now i have 90+ in blood test.

Just been catching up on posts and saw the one about your results, in your post the 90+ refers to the GFR, readings between 90-120 indicate normal results so you don't need to be worried at all about that result :)

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
hi i would have a word with gp as kidneys are not to be messed with you might have an infection sometimes that can hurt.
it does not hurt to have a word & put your mind at rest good luck destiny

Martina79

Just been catching up on posts and saw the one about your results, in your post the 90+ refers to the GFR, readings between 90-120 indicate normal results so you don't need to be worried at all about that result

yes u right, 90 is still no bad but its not 'good'. i almost dont drink, never had serious ilness and eat healthly therefore it should be much better. 90 is borderline. 91 is bad...ugh , horibble:( i hope it will get better.