1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Kids and pump

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by absnsi, Feb 14, 2018.

1. absnsi

absnsi Parent · Member

What's everyone's thoughts on insulin pumps? I'm trialing my 2 year old daughter with it and tbf they are quite heavy. I've had to pad the shoulders of a wee bag for her as they didn't have one her size. Managed to order a band for it to go in but it won't be here for another week. Do you think she will adjust? Are they beneficial etc? Please feel free to share any experiences. Thanks

2. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Well-Known Member

As an adult, I have found my insulin pump very useful and mimics a "healthy pancreas" much better than injections.
    However, as a fully grown person (albeit on the smaller side), I find my pump bulky. For me this affects my vanity as I can't hide the bulges in, what used to be, smart business clothing. I can imagine how this would be heavy for a two year old but, hopefully, she will grow into it and the two of you will get used to it.

3. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hi @absnsi - the main reasons for putting small children on pumps are twofold.

The first is that the tiny amounts of insulin they typically need can be much better delivered through the use of a pump compared to more traditional methods.

Secondly, they allow much better control of the variability inherent in T1, which affects young children significantly.

As a result, although it's bulky, she'll ultimately be better of with a pump than on MDI and you'll have the flexibility to manage her better. I'd recommend sticking with it and finding a way. While at two, she's small, she's also big enough to carry the pump around.

4. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Perhaps get your sewing machine out and make some pockets to slot the pump in between the shoulder blades.

5. absnsi

absnsi Parent · Member

I'm hoping we can see the benefits of it when she starts it. ATM though she hates it, wont even let me near her and has generally been unhappy since having it put in. I can see that being able to administer smaller amounts of insulin beneficial plus she can snack as she wishes (she loves to have a snack but being limited to 15g can be a problem). Yea I'm probably going to have to get creative. Thanks for all the replies

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook