Kids and pump

absnsi

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
What's everyone's thoughts on insulin pumps? I'm trialing my 2 year old daughter with it and tbf they are quite heavy. I've had to pad the shoulders of a wee bag for her as they didn't have one her size. Managed to order a band for it to go in but it won't be here for another week. Do you think she will adjust? Are they beneficial etc? Please feel free to share any experiences. Thanks

D

Deleted Account

As an adult, I have found my insulin pump very useful and mimics a "healthy pancreas" much better than injections.
However, as a fully grown person (albeit on the smaller side), I find my pump bulky. For me this affects my vanity as I can't hide the bulges in, what used to be, smart business clothing. I can imagine how this would be heavy for a two year old but, hopefully, she will grow into it and the two of you will get used to it.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @absnsi - the main reasons for putting small children on pumps are twofold.

The first is that the tiny amounts of insulin they typically need can be much better delivered through the use of a pump compared to more traditional methods.

Secondly, they allow much better control of the variability inherent in T1, which affects young children significantly.

As a result, although it's bulky, she'll ultimately be better of with a pump than on MDI and you'll have the flexibility to manage her better. I'd recommend sticking with it and finding a way. While at two, she's small, she's also big enough to carry the pump around.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Perhaps get your sewing machine out and make some pockets to slot the pump in between the shoulder blades.

absnsi

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm hoping we can see the benefits of it when she starts it. ATM though she hates it, wont even let me near her and has generally been unhappy since having it put in. I can see that being able to administer smaller amounts of insulin beneficial plus she can snack as she wishes (she loves to have a snack but being limited to 15g can be a problem). Yea I'm probably going to have to get creative. Thanks for all the replies