Lab results and home testing at odds- scared and confused...

JonMarq3

Do you need to lose weight? Is your waistline larger than it should be?

There. Is a lot of rubbish on the internet. Diet and Diabetes is a hugely complex subject. If you want to read up about it get The Diabetes Code by Jason Fung.
Actually, I’ve lost quite a bit of weight since mid January. I was the typical, overweight American at 93 kilograms and a height of 1.77 meters. I now weigh 78.6 kilograms and have about 19% body fat. I am planning to continue cutting body fat till I get down to really lean around 13%. What’s odd is that when I was heavier my postprandials seemed lower and now they are higher. No clue why unless my body needs some time to adjust to my new weight and stabilize blood sugars. I will speak to a physician endocrinologist soon.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Andcol: The reason I’m worried sick is because everything I have read on the internet about “normal, nondiabetics” is that no matter what they eat, they typically never go above 6.9 and only rarely do they go up to 7.77. Everyone says normal, metabolically competent people never go up to 9 or 10 after meals because they have a functional first phase insulin response which prevents such dramatic spikes. Honestly, it is all very confusing and controversial. Some say one thing, another group says nondiabetics do spike high etc. I don’t even know what to believe anymore. The more I read studies, research, investigate, etc the more lost I feel. It just seems absurd that I can be around 6.9 or even 6 two hours after two different ogtts and yet it takes much longer for my numbers to be under 7.8 after a meal that may break down into less than 75 grams of glucose after digestion. I had the second ogtt only a week ago and with the readings on the meter and how long it takes for my glucose to drop it almost gives me the impression that my pancreas has deteriorated or become impaired .

This is the problem with statistical normals and trying to apply them back into the real. Many other the reports rarely give the distribution or give a standard distribution but with know knowledge if the samples are normally distributed or not makes it impossible to interpret the results as a layman. The graphs I have seen with small groups have shown a 75th percentile around 9-10 around an hour. This means 75% are below this but also that 25% are above. Please do not play the normal (statistical) is x so everyone should aim to be better than x. It is perverse and exactly what drugs companies/medical profession did with statins and blood pressure even if it was for altruistic reasons.