Lack of sleep

crafteclaire

Dislikes
cheats and liers
Hi.

I'm taking a SERIOUS :x look at my lifestyle at the moment - made some seriously big changes both diabetes wise and in other areas of my life too - in an attempt to improve the standard of living for me and the kids.

Now, I've heard that lack of sleep can affect insulin absorption. Is this true? I'm a real night-bird, but have to be up early in the morning with the kids and am often very tired. Is this having a negative effect on my blood glucose control?

thanks,

Katharine

The lack of sleep puts your body under stress and you secrete more cortisol. This makes you more insulin resistant. Night shift workers are more prone to metabolic syndrome than day shift workers and if they get metabolic syndrome die 13 years earlier.

I know that you probably would have no "me time" at all if you went to bed early but perhaps you would be more lively during the day and just feel better. Are there any household tasks you could cut out or delegate so you could get more sleep?

crafteclaire

Dislikes
cheats and liers
Katherine,

It's not household chores that keep me awake - I just don't tend to feel tired at night.

This past week, however, I have been getting tired and sleeping in front of the tv earlier and earlier - and I have since come down with a rotten cold and U R T I.

My body is slowly getting used to the feeling of bms running in normal range - until I started 'low-carbing' back on 2nd September, I've been running very high bms for years and years - when I'd been at a reasonable level for a few days, I then had tons of hypos, for which I get no warnings, and as a result then bounced about for ages.

Anyway, that is all in the past and I'm now sticking strictly to a low carb diet, where I try not to have more than 20g cho at any 1 meal, sometimes less. The effect this has had on my blood sugar control is amazing! (Insulin dosage has halved in 24 hour period) I go to the gym most days, have quit smoking and I try to steer clear of caffeine, as far as possible. The only thing I'm not giving up is my red wine! :twisted:

I've been going to bed a bit earlier, since reading your post - I knew there was some negative effect of sleep deprivation on diabetes, but was not sure of the facts behind it - I'm sure, as I bring my bed time earlier, bit by bit, I'll sleep better!

Thanks for the info .... I'll keep trying :|