Lack of talk about DiB

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I don't know how many of you have heard about DiB (but the evidence I have been reading online, seems quite high and very worrying.

I have heard of this happening to friends relatives as well.

Is this all meant to be kept a big secret from the Diabetic community?
My nurse hasn't really covered it, apart from saying we need to keep you away from lows because of complications.

This article here on DiB goes into it quite deep and it is very informative.

I understand this will worry people who don't know about it, and I was just curious because it's always been at the back of my mind. Being a Type 1, lows can become quite common sometimes, especially if you miss-judge your evening meal injection.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Brit90 . DiB does occasionally appear on the forum, and understandably is a subject that is uncomfortable for some.
I'm not sure what the actual % of diabetic related deaths are attributed to DiB but I'm confident in saying it's extremely low and there is often another contributing factor when it does occur. I'm not overly knowledgeable on this subject but have had times when it has been in my mind. I always see it as one way that diabetes attempts to gain power over me. Confidence in yourself and your abilities should help with negative thoughts.
Looking at a bigger picture of life you are more probably at risk walking down the street.
With the onset of CGM's and the new Libre many people now realise that they go low on a regular basis throughout the night, without even realising.
In extreme cases our liver still does it's party piece and kicks out glucagon to keep us alive.

Reactions: Brit90

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for the reply.
I have been using Libre quite a while now (glad it will become free) and that's why I am more worried. The dips I do now notice gets me thinking about it a bit more.
I understand its not a comfortable thing to talk about, but if we don't talk about it, people are not aware of the seriousness of it. I did read that if something happens Once in a year, then you can get a CGM for free.
I've had close calls before, due to a mistake of injecting when tired (wrong one) then panicking and drinking lots of soda to counter-act it.
Again thanks for replying.