Lacking motivation

ViolaterUK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey @LeeSouth,

I was/am in the same kind of boat as yourself.

Was diagnosed over a year ago, did great (lost 3 stone) then boom lockdown/depression for the majority of the year.

I've just (this July) gave myself a kick up the bum to get back into gear. I am a big chap and I am basically on a low carb diet (I'm not counting calories etc as yet) but I'm eating less so I'm on less calories and I'm 9kg down in around 3 weeks. The best thing is my blood sugars are finally in a good place, not perfect but so much better than double figures!! Avg for last 7 days is 6.9.

I think writing this post was your first step. You wouldn't write it if you were in the mood for change, so well done. Now its the hard part of starting it.

The first few days are horrible, your body will cry out for all the badness you are trying to cut out, after a few days that feeling goes (you'll always look or fancy something but doesn't everyone?). Stick with it and you will see an improvement.

Don't remove carbs completely, that's a harsh way just reduce the intake, try cut out breads, make a fry up (minus the potatoes/carby items) I like Sausage (full fat for LCHF), bacon, eggs and mushrooms and a few beans, less than I would normally have. It's filling and it doesn't feel like you are "dieting" I think that's the trick that helped me.

Use an app called Carb Manager, track your meals and it will show you your carbs and calories. I try to stay below 30 net carbs, but if I go over a little I don't worry as long as my BG doesn't rocket it and if it does that it drops just as quick.

Your body is different from the next person, you need to find what foods increase your BG to much and avoid/sparingly have them.

I wrote a similar post and I update it weekly. If no one reads it that's fine, it's more to keep me accountable for my actions, good or bad and I found it helpful - https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/my-personal-weekly-update-getting-back-on-track.183016/

I'm starting a-new, if you need someone to "buddy" up with for help/support/a moan whatever, happy to support as sometimes it's easier to do it with someone than alone.

Keep at it, don't let a bad meal/day define your week. It will come and get better :)

V

Reactions: Annecordelia

Drfarxan

I have been struggling with weight loss all my life, i was always over weight but i never lost weight as much as quickly as i did with a keto diet. Lost 20 kg never achieved that in my life.

So please try keto diet even if you don't lose alot of weight your blood work will get better. Its easy to do even when you binge eat the food you'll get used to won't affect your sugar or even weight.

All the best