1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Lactose and fructose tests possible with T1?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Barly2, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Barly2

Barly2 · Newbie

My tummy's been rumbling lately, and a friend suggested to test if I'm lactose or fructose intolerant, to rule it out. Is that possible with type 1 diabetes?

2. ElenaP

ElenaP Type 1 · Member

I would suggest that you avoid dairy products and fruit for a week or two and see if you feel better. It could be that your GP may be able to offer a test for lactose intolerance. I've been lactose intolerant all my life (never been tested) but now I eat lactose free yogurt and cheese. I can tolerate a small amount of very strong normal cheese but too much will result in frequent trips to the loo. Good luck with the abstinence.

3. Barly2

Barly2 · Newbie

Yes, that's what I plan to do - dairy and fruits separately. Just wondered about typical tests because from what I saw superficially, the whole setup seems difficult with type 1 diabetes.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook