LADA and Graves’ disease advice

Nadine70

Hi all, I have Graves’ thyroid disease and have been managing ok for the last 12 years after thyroidectomy and other related surgeries.
I’ve struggled with high cholesterol, blood pressure over the years but have managed to keep weight off and stay fairly active.
I’m currently training for a 10k and thought I would monitor my BG. Yesterday it was 7.2 (fasted) and today it’s 6. I eat healthy etc.
I’ve been reading up on LADA and wonder if this could be an issue. My latest hba1c last year was 39, so I’ve always been at the higher end of the scale but not actually diagnosed as t2. Any advice for me please? Thanks

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's hard to tell, have you consulted your doctor? For instance, the presence of GAD antibodies indicates LADA.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I have Graves’ thyroid disease and have been managing ok for the last 12 years after thyroidectomy and other related surgeries.
I’ve struggled with high cholesterol, blood pressure over the years but have managed to keep weight off and stay fairly active.
I’m currently training for a 10k and thought I would monitor my BG. Yesterday it was 7.2 (fasted) and today it’s 6. I eat healthy etc.
I’ve been reading up on LADA and wonder if this could be an issue. My latest hba1c last year was 39, so I’ve always been at the higher end of the scale but not actually diagnosed as t2. Any advice for me please? Thanks

Nadine, it is my personal viewpoint that many people (both living with and not living with diabetes of any form) have a sweet spot when it comes to where their blood glucose numbers run. Some will have nice, cute very low HbA1cs and others will find they run closer to a number recently considered well worth watching (42).

Please don't make a great big thing of fasting blood glucose scores. They can be very misleading and sometimes almost alien to the individual's HbA1c number.

There is a process known as Dawn Phenomenon, which is when your body recognises your routine, and your liver releases a bit of stored glucose to give you some get up and go for the day. Once you have broken your fast, your liver just tops up its stores again (like a rechargeable battery), and as such some people have a bit of dip in their numbers later in the day, evening it all out.

I'm not sure what it is specifically that makes you concerned you may be LADA, but if that was a bit clearer, we might be able to give you slightly more robust guidance, or suggestions.

Nobody here can diagnose, or rule out a diagnosis. Only the medics can do that. Have you discussed this with them?

Finally, you have relatively recently, it seems had a thyroidectomy. Was that a full or hemithyroidectomy?

Our thyroids are at the centre of our metabolic regulation system, and really until you are stabilised with thyroid replacement hormones, if you need them, at a good and balanced dose, with the related test results, things might be a bit variable.

My suggestion at the moment would be that you have a chat with your team about this. I am assuming you are seeing an Endo relating to your thyroid health? They could well be ideally placed to guide you on this, and/or order up any relevant tests.

Nadine70

It's hard to tell, have you consulted your doctor? For instance, the presence of GAD antibodies indicates LADA.
Hi, thanks for reply. I have only just discovered LADA as a thing. As I’ve got Graves I know there’s an increased chance. Maybe I’ll book an appointment and see
Nadine, it is my personal viewpoint that many people (both living with and not living with diabetes of any form) have a sweet spot when it comes to where their blood glucose numbers run. Some will have nice, cute very low HbA1cs and others will find they run closer to a number recently considered well worth watching (42).

Please don't make a great big thing of fasting blood glucose scores. They can be very misleading and sometimes almost alien to the individual's HbA1c number.

There is a process known as Dawn Phenomenon, which is when your body recognises your routine, and your liver releases a bit of stored glucose to give you some get up and go for the day. Once you have broken your fast, your liver just tops up its stores again (like a rechargeable battery), and as such some people have a bit of dip in their numbers later in the day, evening it all out.

I'm not sure what it is specifically that makes you concerned you may be LADA, but if that was a bit clearer, we might be able to give you slightly more robust guidance, or suggestions.

Nobody here can diagnose, or rule out a diagnosis. Only the medics can do that. Have you discussed this with them?

Finally, you have relatively recently, it seems had a thyroidectomy. Was that a full or hemithyroidectomy?

Our thyroids are at the centre of our metabolic regulation system, and really until you are stabilised with thyroid replacement hormones, if you need them, at a good and balanced dose, with the related test results, things might be a bit variable.

My suggestion at the moment would be that you have a chat with your team about this. I am assuming you are seeing an Endo relating to your thyroid health? They could well be ideally placed to guide you on this, and/or order up any relevant tests.

Hi! Thank you by much for the information, it's been very helpful. I guess I am jumping the gun here. I will look into things, thank you