Lada and weight gain.

Millie74

I had high GAD. Very high. 1700. The consultant just stopped in last day of course to discuss complications. We had to introduce ourselves. She knew nothing about me until then. Wasn’t a diabetes educator. Even the DN looked alarmed when she asked me why I am on insulin.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had high GAD. Very high. 1700. The consultant just stopped in last day of course to discuss complications. We had to introduce ourselves. She knew nothing about me until then. Wasn’t a diabetes educator. Even the DN looked alarmed when she asked me why I am on insulin.
I wouldn't put any worth to her words then, that's just crazy.
I doubt if it's even ethical to advise a patient which is not your own and whose history you do not know.
I still have a feeling she thought you were T2.
Started taking Metformin again yesterday. Felt pretty sick. Need to build up slowly I think. I can’t see Metformin making much difference. She said give it a week.
Was it this visiting endo or your own conultant who said you should restart the metformin?

Reactions: Millie74

Millie74

I wouldn't put any worth to her words then, that's just crazy.
I doubt if it's even ethical to advise a patient which is not your own and whose history you do not know.
I still have a feeling she thought you were T2.

Was it this visiting endo or your own conultant who said you should restart the metformin?

Millie74

The visiting one who knew I was LADA. I was on Metformin when spoke to my endocrinologist at diagnosis. I didn’t see a consultant when put on insulin due to pandemic. My endo put me in touch with DN team. DN put me on insulin as fasting sugars rose significantly. Long acting first. Followed shortly by novorapid. The DN said up to me if carry on on Metformin. I just took in mornings and not at night as made me feel sick at night. DN said ok to half dose from 2000mg to 1000mg and take in mornings only.

Millie74

This seems almost crazy, but it does also make me wonder, I have always felt something was off with my blood sugar, long before I had any kind of diabetic symptoms, and then with being diagnosed LADA I do wonder if I had some underlying problem beforehand.

I am still battling to adjust my insulin doses and get things stable, was also advised to work on my insulin resistance, but my medical doesn't cover metformin anymore.

I hope you are managing okay there, :)

Millie74

How did they ask you to work on insulin resistance then? Exercise?

I am only taking Metformin in mornings as makes me feel sick/ bad tummy. So just taking 1000mg in mornings. Half the dose I was. Didn’t make much difference for me even on twice a day.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Levimir and Novorapid

Hello,

Do you find yourself treating hypos, or possibly snacking to pre-empt & avoid lows with what you do.? (Day to day & the dance teaching.)

Healthy BG levels are paramount, (easier said than done.) if the above is what you seem to be doing to avoid lows?
The start (with consultation with your HCPs.) would be basal testing. Before focusing on what you bolus for with your personal choice your diet.

I hope this helps? As a T1 active man (myself.) expecting a little "middle aged spread," it never happened to date..

I sort of tripped over my balance by accident. & it can be bewildering when things change.

Are you using a CGM like a Libre? To monitor your trends? This can also be a useful tool.
Best wishes finding your "you.." :)

Reactions: Millie74 and EllieM

Millie74

Hello,

Do you find yourself treating hypos, or possibly snacking to pre-empt & avoid lows with what you do.? (Day to day & the dance teaching.)

Healthy BG levels are paramount, (easier said than done.) if the above is what you seem to be doing to avoid lows?
The start (with consultation with your HCPs.) would be basal testing. Before focusing on what you bolus for with your personal choice your diet.

I hope this helps? As a T1 active man (myself.) expecting a little "middle aged spread," it never happened to date..

I sort of tripped over my balance by accident. & it can be bewildering when things change.

Are you using a CGM like a Libre? To monitor your trends? This can also be a useful tool.
Best wishes finding your "you.." :)

Millie74

Thanks. Since switching to Levimir and testing basal I am much better. I did snack on 10g carbs to stay up between teaching dance classes on Lantus. I can see this would contribute to weight gain over time. On Levimir evening and night, not needed to do this. Not had one hypo in 2 weeks either. I have a straight line on Levimir at night. If go to bed with a 7 , wake up on 7. Skipped lunch to test daytime basal too amd stayed steady on Levimir. I still haven’t lost weight. Forever hopeful.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thanks. Since switching to Levimir and testing basal I am much better. I did snack on 10g carbs to stay up between teaching dance classes on Lantus. I can see this would contribute to weight gain over time. On Levimir evening and night, not needed to do this. Not had one hypo in 2 weeks either. I have a straight line on Levimir at night. If go to bed with a 7 , wake up on 7. Skipped lunch to test daytime basal too amd stayed steady on Levimir. I still haven’t lost weight. Forever hopeful.

That's awesome that levemir seems to be suiting you better. I know you are concerned about your weight, but diabetic control is such an important part of your health and it does sound as though the new regime is working better for you. I hate hate hate having to snack for hypos.

As you say, hopefully the weight loss will come slowly with the improved insulin regime.

(Edited for use of wrong word)

Last edited:
Reactions: Millie74

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I'm going to be quite frank with you..? I traimed at LTA (Laine theatre arts) for 3 years? (How I got into the place I'll never know.) Then took a different direction.
However.. There is an unwarrented emphasis on weight? (In show bizz.) my non D sister was as the same place too? like me, she had nothing to loose, but there was pressure.. " i think you could loose a little, dahling.." Really?!! I exclaimed when she told me what was suggested to her..

None of us are getting any younger. You teach dance & many possibly enjoy thier journey keeping active doing what they love to maintain weight & exercise. There are other benefits.
I feel you should be proud you provide a resource for those who accomplish what they do. On top of the fact you manage insulin too... Slowly steady, wins the race..

Millie74

I'm going to be quite frank with you..? I traimed at LTA (Laine theatre arts) for 3 years? (How I got into the place I'll never know.) Then took a different direction.
However.. There is an unwarrented emphasis on weight? (In show bizz.) my non D sister was as the same place too? like me, she had nothing to loose, but there was pressure.. " i think you could loose a little, dahling.." Really?!! I exclaimed when she told me what was suggested to her..

None of us are getting any younger. You teach dance & many possibly enjoy thier journey keeping active doing what they love to maintain weight & exercise. There are other benefits.
I feel you should be proud you provide a resource for those who accomplish what they do. On top of the fact you manage insulin too... Slowly steady, wins the race..

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
This seems almost crazy, but it does also make me wonder, I have always felt something was off with my blood sugar, long before I had any kind of diabetic symptoms, and then with being diagnosed LADA I do wonder if I had some underlying problem beforehand.

Same. Diabetes wasn't on my mind due to no family history, but I also felt like I was off long before my LADA diagnosis. I was in my early 20's feeling like I had Alzheimers or some circulation problem that didn't make any sense.