Ladies - Contraception - Do You Think I'd Have A Case?

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At the beginning of the year I was switched to the Sayana Press injection from Depo due to "some" areas struggling to get hold of the Depo, I did 2 of them and then there were manufacturing/supply issues with it so put back on to Depo, I'm due in February and have been told to call and see if Sayana Press is available again yet or if it will in fact be Depo again, since we've been switched back there doesn't seem to be an issue of getting hold of it and although I'm all for a self administering injection it has left me with a slight problem, the place in my thighs where I did it has been left with a small indent (I assume due to the fact it does form a lump under the skin when injected and absorbs over the following 13 weeks) I just wondered if you thought I might have a case to fight to stay on Depo due to the fact this scarring could cause problems with insulin absorption? TIA xx

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never had the injection myself, i've tried to avoid it partly for this reason as i sometimes inject my thighs. I'm not positive you would have a case for it unless you have proof that that's the only method that really works for you - you may just be told to switch insulin injection sites or try another form of contraceptive.
It might be better to make the case that constantly switching between contraceptive hormone injections is affecting your diabetes control.
Have you tried other methods such as the implant? It just gets inserted under the skin on your arm and lasts 2 years (at least, mine did).
Sorry i can't be more helpful! :(

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's the same hormone basically and hasn't caused issues with a switch, I alternate thighs and stomach for insulin after over use of stomach when diagnosed and the only places to do Sayana are thighs or stomach, I got a response on a FB group where a member had success in requesting to stay on Depo for the same reason I'm worried about and I'm going to chat to my consultant about it next week to get him on my side (which he usually is) should I need his backing, I've been on Depo 10 years so switching to another form of contraception is not something I want to do xx

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's the same hormone basically and hasn't caused issues with a switch, I alternate thighs and stomach for insulin after over use of stomach when diagnosed and the only places to do Sayana are thighs or stomach, I got a response on a FB group where a member had success in requesting to stay on Depo for the same reason I'm worried about and I'm going to chat to my consultant about it next week to get him on my side (which he usually is) should I need his backing, I've been on Depo 10 years so switching to another form of contraception is not something I want to do xx
That's totally understandable - you know it works for you and you're comfortable with it - you shouldn't have to switch injection! Definitely talk to your diabetic consultant - they tend to be very understanding with things like this and he will probably be able to advise you a lot better than i can! Fingers crossed for you :) x