Lambs liver

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Evil beings. Destroying our beautiful Planet X
hi I've just bought a bag of beef bones to cook for hopefully a beef tea drink to sip if hungry etc and I wondered if lambs liver is good for a LCHF diet. Any feedback would be great from anyone xx

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
100 grams - 4 ounces has 1.8grams of carb so all good I would say - love a bit of liver n onions

Reactions: Rosiegough_

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ewww, disgustrous stuff... I just couldn't.... My mum used to force me to eat it as a child, ever since then I'd throw up if I even put it in my mouth.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Liver, just like marmite - you either love it or hate it, BUT much like you James my mum use to force it upon us, it was overcooked & like an old leather boot and I had avoided it in adult life until I tried a really well (not over!) cooked piece of liver - it was fantastic!

Reactions: Jamesuk9

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lambs liver is excellent and ridiculously cheap. If you like it, and haven't tried calves liver, that is a gourmet treat especially served pink but much more expensive. (Sorry vegetarians!).

Knighthawk22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ahaha !!!
Lambs liver with bacon and onions food of the gods but my other half wouldn't agree she hates it but then there's more for me

Reactions: Debzz_

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Only if you enjoy it, but don't eat too much or you can get vitamin A overload.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone's talking about the liver. What about the bag of beef bones????????? Am I missing something here?
What is the process for obtaining a bag of beef bones?
" Good morning my good man, nice weather we're having, I'll have a top side of beef and would you by chance have a bag of beef bones?"
Sorry @Rosiegough_ I only jest but your thread really raised a smile. Just a mental image I conjured up.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Everyone's talking about the liver. What about the bag of beef bones????????? Am I missing something here?
" Good morning my good man, nice weather we're having, I'll have a top side of beef and would you by chance have a bag of beef bones?"
Sorry @Rosiegough_ I only jest but your thread really raised a smile. Just a mental image I conjured up.
Any butcher shop will have them.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
hi I've just bought a bag of beef bones to cook for hopefully a beef tea drink to sip if hungry etc and I wondered if lambs liver is good for a LCHF diet. Any feedback would be great from anyone xx
Hi @Rosiegough ..
Yes .. @Knighthawk22 is correct -1.8gm Carbs in 100gm liver
It's pretty straightforward to find out for yourself, though ..
Just go to Google and type in carbs followed by whatever food you are concerned with ..
for example ... carbs lambs liver ... will give you the info that you want
Hope this helps

Reactions: Knighthawk22

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @NoCrbs4Me . I have learnt something new today. I guess the demise of a lot of local butchers makes it difficult to obtain a lot of things these days. I have to be honest I didn't know you could buy a bag of bones.:)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Liver counts as one of the most nutritious foods available. Far better than our old friend broccoli. lol.
But as someone said above, don't have it too often. It is sooooo nutritious it can overload you with some vitamins.
Once a week or so, is fine.

@therower
the beef bones thing is because of bone broth. Good for low carbers to get certain minerals, and very good for health on quite a few levels.

I get mine from the butchers at the end of the road. I think the poor love believes I am going to give them to the dogs (and I do give SOME of them to the mutts), but the majority go into my slow cooker and simmer with exquisite slowness for about 24 hours. A tablespoon of cider vinegar in the water causes all the nutrition to leach out of the bones, and into the liquid, while things like the cartilage dissolve. Then you just strain the bones out and use the liquid however you like - stock for soups and stews, drink it by the mug, freeze it and keep it for later.

If you google 'Bone Broth' you will find quite a cult following nowadays. I don't do the cult thing, but I must say it comes in very useful at times, and can taste absolutely delicious.

(My butcher charges £1 a carrier bag for the bones. Sometimes a bag can contain about 6-8 skeletal chicken carcasses or a huge amount of pork or beef ribs. With quite a lot of the meat left on.)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yes I know a butcher that has bags of bones, all nicely labelled up as to which animal they are(were?) on a table out side 'for the dog' for a 50p

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Most high-street butchers (and good butchery dept in a supermarkets) will have beef bones @therower

They make a good stock much the same as a Ham Hock does when making a pea & ham soup.

Reactions: Debzz_

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make liver Stroganof (aka Strong enough ) with lots of mushrooms , instead of rice I serve mine with courgette and or aubergine fried in butter
CAROL

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love chicken livers often make pate from those or lambs liver very thinly sliced and cooked medium rare

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to dislike liver, But now adore it. I go for pigs liver, stronger tasting than lambs liver but we prefer it like that. Pennies for a meal, too.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ox liver for me by far the best as far as I am concerned. With onions and a fried egg - yum!