Type 2 Lancet Disposal

davecatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
New to all this so I've just started testing my blood /sugar; how do I safely dispose of old lancet's I can get a sharps bin as my step daughter is T1 ( I'm T2) and gets all her stuff free, but I can't just chuck it in the wheelie bin when it's full?
Thanks

1rnold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have a friend who is T2 ( I am T1) and he said he gets his meds free as he has prescription exempt card could you ask your Gp for the sharpes bin to be added on ? Or are you diet controlled only ?

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I take mine to the hospital where they dispose of it for me

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get a sharps bin from my GP (they didn't charge me for it). I just swap it out when it's full with them and they dispose of it.
I wouldn't just chuck them in the bin as they've got blood on them and are sharp!

Here's some more details from the NHS: http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2421.aspx

S

Shar67

Disposal depends on arrangements between local authority and local NHS
Some GP surgeries take them, sometimes (like in my case), it's the pharmacy in Sainsbury's, local pharmacy or council collect them. Contact GP see what they say

davecatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I'm diet only but testing to find out what foods cause spikes. I'd never just chuck them in the wheelie bin as said they're contaminated. Thanks for the guidance I'm in to see the practice nurse next week regarding cholesterol levels so I can ask if they'll take them for disposal. I think that my step daughter would be able to dispose as well as she's insulin dependant.

tim_garnett

Hi,
New to all this so I've just started testing my blood /sugar; how do I safely dispose of old lancet's I can get a sharps bin as my step daughter is T1 ( I'm T2) and gets all her stuff free, but I can't just chuck it in the wheelie bin when it's full?
Thanks
Hi,got my bin free,right at the start.Fill to line close and return to chemist for disposal.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Got two 1 litre sharps bins when I was first diagnosed and was registered with council, who I ring up to collect and replace bin when full.

I guess everywhere is different, so I would contact your diabetic clinic or GP surgery to ask what the process is in your area.

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
Had to purchase mine from Amazon. Have not yet decided how to dispose of when full.:rolleyes:

pkw55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Poor service
My City Council supplied a sharps box and exchange it when full

lukebradley85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Thanks

Am T1, the pharmacy just dispose of my full sharps boxes

ck18

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The hospital gave me my first small portable box when I was diagnosed, then I had a larger box delivered to my house a few days later for my used needles and syringes. There's a phone number I ring when the box is almost full and they arrange to pick it up and drop off a new one whenever i need it. My diabetic nurse also gave me a little device which takes the tips off needles so if I'm out, I can clip the needle off and dispose if the bluet needle safely. Apparently they are also available on prescription. (Live in Wales so prescriptions are free!) I keep the smaller box in the bedroom and they'll change that when its full too.,

ck18

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry meant 'dispose of the used needles safely'

Gowersurfer

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Pump
I'm in South Wales and applied to the local authority for a sharps bin for my daughter who is type 1
They deliver and you contact them when it's full to be swapped

gmw47

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
GP advised taking them to a pharmacy but probably best to ask first?

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
As for needles my DNS supplied me with a needle clipper that makes pen needles safe to dispose of in general waste. As far as I know my local authority has no guidelines on disposal. :)