Landed here in the end

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The month of May was "carnivore month' and I decided to give it a go [again]. Previously I had tried it out for a full month and although blood glucose readings improved I found the diet to be not sustainable. My second attempt was very brief but I did get the idea that maybe somehow some kind of vegetarian way of eating could suit me better. ie allow me to eat more vegetables and perhaps if needed lower my protein intake. The trial worked, blood glucose readings are good, I feel better ie not limited in amounts and choices. I suppose its a kind of ketogenic low carb high fat diet . Currently at 10% carbs 15 % protein and 75 % fat.
Of course I still need to experience this way of eating throughout all the seasons, get decent blood test results etc but I am very happy to have landed here.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Lots of food ideas, links and suggestions here so have fun looking and testing.

Reactions: Pasha
M

Member496333

Coincidentally I’ve just recently taken the opposite approach and moved from eating plenty of overground green vegetables to a diet consisting almost entirely of animal products. Watching this with interest to see how you get on.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
It is often pointed out that we are all different and our bodies react differently to various foods. Some do better with veg, some prefer a carnivore way of eating.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Coincidentally I’ve just recently taken the opposite approach and moved from eating plenty of overground green vegetables to a diet consisting almost entirely of animal products. Watching this with interest to see how you get on.

Yes I have been following your approach including the eating of raw meats, indeed it will be interesting to see how things develop.

Reactions: Member496333

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Given that this is the vegetarian section of the forum, can any further discussion of carnivorous eating(cooked or not) continue in another location? Thanks.

Reactions: WuTwo

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well I have continued with my way of eating , the composition of the macronutrients has drifted a little but the results suit me just fine. Proteins mainly from eggs, cheese and some beans. No fish, chicken or meat. Above ground grown vegetables and plenty of fat. Liberal amounts of saturated fats from sour cream. The most significant change has been from going low carb[ ca 20- 25 grams net ] to up to ca+- 70 grams net. I find that I can now easily manage this way of eating very easily without feeling deprived and often hungry. I have conciously allowed the trade off of a more comfortable WOE with slightly higher BG values. I now consider my average FBG of 5.4 mmoles/l to be satisfactory for my age and state of health.

One thing I find very annoying and difficult to understant is the sometimes agressive attitude to how others eat, eg vegetarian, vegan and carnivore.I have tried many ways of eating and with great strictness over the years and am quite frankly surprised with my results. I would never have guessed that I could tuck into so many carbs and eliminate animal protein. Maybe somebody starting out on their learning curve of what suits them best will find something here that perhaps could help float their boat.