Lansoprazole

Floraidh

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone else found that taking Lansoprazole has raised their blood sugar levels? My OH, who had severe reflux, was prescribed Omeprazole initially, but this was changed to Lansoprazole due to possible contraindications with another drug he is taking. Since his diagnosis of reflex and being prescribed the meds for this his bg have been consistently higher than usual and increasing his insulin doses a number of times have failed to bring his bg numbers back to where they were previously. The lowest he could get them to was around 9 and would be 13 or more after meals.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm type 2 and not on anything but low dose Metformin, i take 30 mg Lansoprazole, and have never noticed any change. Perhaps the reduced acid has an affect on the ability to digest carbs better.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take Lansoprazole very occasionally as now I eat very low carb I don’t often get digestion problems. It’s only when I eat later than normal or take my medication too late that I feel the need to take one. But I haven’t noticed it raise my BG

timbo_dolman

I take Lansoprazole very occasionally as now I eat very low carb I don’t often get digestion problems. It’s only when I eat later than normal or take my medication too late that I feel the need to take one. But I haven’t noticed it raise my BG

That’s really interesting I’d never really thought about omeprazole as I used to take it regularly, but since going low-carb and keto I’ve not need to take it for a long time. Never made the link between low-carb and a better digestion

• Winner
Reactions: MissMuffett