Lantus and storage ... oops

jallsop

I picked up a Tesco carrier bag (yes, carrier bag!) of medication on Monday. I went to sort it all out this morning and found, to my horror, that I had not taken out the Lantus and put it in the fridge :oops: . Am I still able to use it or should I go, cap in hand, to my GP and ask for another prescription?

Jackie

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
How warm is where you kept it?
It should be Ok at normal room temperatures. Check the leaflet for storage instructions

jallsop

hanadr said:
How warm is where you kept it?
It should be Ok at normal room temperatures. Check the leaflet for storage instructions

It was normal room temperature Hana. I will go and check the leaflet right now ..... can't believe I was that stupid. :roll:

Jackie

jallsop

Well I just had a look at the leaflet and it says "If the pen has been taken out of the cool storage place either for use or to be carried as a spare you can keep it at a temperature of up to 25c for up to 4 weeks." Hopefully that means putting in back into a fridge after about 36 hours should be ok ... I can only hope. Might give the pharmacy a ring in the morning just to double check. Can't believe I did it - first time in 2 years of being diabetic!

Jackie

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
Dont panic!

Your Lantus is OK at room temp for upto 28 days i beleive... just stick it in the fridge now and it will be fine.

My lantus was in my pen for three weeks whilst in use without storage in a fridge and i've never had an issue with it. Nor my Novorapid or Levemir.

Stu

jallsop

Thanks Stu. What worried me was that this was a box of 5 new pens. I only use a new pen once every 10 days or so. That means the last pen won't be used until about 40 days' time. Do you think I should discard the unused ones after 28 days? I'm sorry if I sound thick - I am just worried.

Jackie

Stuboy

Dislikes
no no!

You lantus will last for months on end (check the use by date, it's probably YEARS) if its stored in the fridge.

It should only be discarded after 28 days if it's been stored at room temp for that time.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My T1 husband uses refillable pens, but they live in his backpack, which he takes to work with him. Eac is out of the fridge up to a week at a time.

Stuboy

Dislikes
my pens are out of the fridge untill all the insulin is gone! usually no longer about three weeks.

Trinkwasser

Experience from others suggests that the storage times may be very conservative and Lantus continues to be effective for much longer that a month

BUT

if you do use it after it's sell-by date it would be a good plan to test and make sure its potency hasn't reduced, unless seriously abused it may be a bit weaker but still effective, it doesn't stop working bang!

(Information from Americans who have to stretch their health budgets as far as possible, see recent Panorama for details!)