1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Lantus: ? Batch fault

Discussion in 'Insulin' started by janeliz, May 28, 2019.

1. janeliz

janeliz Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have read an earlier post(2000) about Lantus causing a sudden drop in blood sugars because of injecting in a fatty site.
    My problem was a blood sugar running at 3.5-4 over 3 days, feeling off but not ill as such. It was a new box of pens that were manufactured for Europe and not UK. They had stickers on the pen with batch no’s, date and dose. Could it be the batch? Unfortunately I have 10 pens (2boxes) of the same batch nos. Could it cause this drop, I normally run 6.5 - 8?
    Will the chemist swap it or not.?

2. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

This is definitely not the dreaded drop you've read about, but mistakes are made everywhere, even in insulin production. Do you have pens from another batch to try?
    Of course it could also be the weather, your period coming up, a miscalculation in the carbs you ate or the color of your socks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. janeliz

janeliz Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have tried another pen from a different box/ batch no’s and sugars seem to be under control today. Cannot relate it to anything else. Just Cross I have 2 boxes of the same batch nos. Gp’s will say I have had a prescription and may not give me another one.

• Hug Hug x 1
  4. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd give them a call! Good luck, and good that you're sorted now :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook