Lantus exact dose

azizdhl

Hi guys

I've been on Lantus for a month and a half till now.. I tried to adjust the exact amount and I did very well.

Right now am having a tiny issue, I found that 8 units of lantus works very well for me.. But there is a problem where it drops me around 40 points while sleeping..

When i changed to 7 units, it reined my day test and carb counting.. So I am concerning going back to 8 unit..

But does dropping 40 points while sleep is ok. And if I sleep around 140 everyday does that cause any complications for a long time? And I can be within 5% hba1c? Where all day my bg around 80-110..

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi guys

I've been on Lantus for a month and a half till now.. I tried to adjust the exact amount and I did very well.

Right now am having a tiny issue, I found that 8 units of lantus works very well for me.. But there is a problem where it drops me around 40 points while sleeping..

When i changed to 7 units, it reined my day test and carb counting.. So I am concerning going back to 8 unit..

But does dropping 40 points while sleep is ok. And if I sleep around 140 everyday does that cause any complications for a long time? And I can be within 5% hba1c? Where all day my bg around 80-110..

Hi @azizdhl

I'm sorry but forum members cannot give advice to other forum members about medication dosing because it is inherently dangerous to do so.

Please seek advice from your medical team.

Reactions: Dixon1995

azizdhl

Hi @azizdhl

I'm sorry but forum members cannot give advice to other forum members about medication dosing because it is inherently dangerous to do so.

Please seek advice from your medical team.

I don't have a medical team
And am not asking about advice or something.. Am just trying to figure out weather 40 points drop while sleeping is fine or not.. So i Wil not have any complications or have more than 6% hba1c

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I don't have a medical team
And am not asking about advice or something.. Am just trying to figure out weather 40 points drop while sleeping is fine or not.. So i Wil not have any complications or have more than 6% hba1c

Ok so when you write 40 points I will 'assume' that you are using mg/dl (approximately 2.2mmol/l) . This is not a problem as long as it doesn't make you hypo ( below 70 ish or 4mmol/l).

As to your other question, if you stay between 80 and 110 mg/dl then your median will be 95 and this would work out around 5% if I've done my sums correctly. However the median could be different to the average so it would depend how long you stay at the top end of the range compared to how long you are at the bottom.

Reactions: EllieM