Lantus injection

Calhay2010

Just had an incident with my son. He said his thigh felt too tender to do injections in. He managed to get needle half way in and pressed the button but it has left a raised white lump on his leg and was bleeding slightly. He’s worried now that the insulin is sitting under his skin instead of injected all the way. Not sure what to do??

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If the insulin is in his body, it will be absorbed. No worries.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My thigh is sensitive to injections. For me it helps to 'feel around' with the needle to locate a spot that won't hurt. Not sure if that's recommended, but just by touching the skin with the needle I'll know if it's a 'hurty' spot. If it is, I'll just deviate a centimeter or two.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
If 4mm needles are being used, and that is highly likely, I think the problem was the needle only being half in.
You describe what is called a bleb, where the insulin sits, and the parting of the tissues there is quite painful, often eliciting a gasp. I occasionally get this in my thigh too.
I quite agree with @Antje77 , I know straight away it will hurt, and that insulin will be absorbed, but maybe a fraction longer.
Blebs continue to hurt for an hour or two.
Recommendation - all of needle in.
Would be good for conversation with DNS.

Edit - to make clearer.