lantus or alternatives

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Somebody posted before the curve of how Lantus works, I think there was also a comparison with Levemir? Does anybody have the links please because having switched Mum to morning Lantus I can't figure why she is hypoing at 4am when the Lantus should be wearing off?

Thanks.

Ali

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
No takers? Hmmm, ok. I am trying to figure out why when Mum was taking her Lantus around 8 pm she was going low around 4 am the next day. Having now swapped her to taking it at 8 am she is STILL going low around 4am the next morning! Her before bed readings are typically between 8 and 11 so I am baffled as to why she is dropping so much in the space of about 6 hours.

Can anybody offer any advice please?

Ali

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Have you tried lowering the dose to see if that makes a difference to your Mum's early morning bg levels ?

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Noblehead, yes. We have gone from 22 to 20, then down to 18 so far. I am awaiting a GP callback to discuss as well.

Ali

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wouldnt bother with a GP if i were you, have you done night testing every 2 hours? would give an idea of when mum is dropping and when?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ali H said:
Hi Noblehead, yes. We have gone from 22 to 20, then down to 18 so far. I am awaiting a GP callback to discuss as well.

Hopefully the gp will advise further.

If your mum (sorry you've not give much detail in the opening post) has just changed over from levemir to lantus then she will find that she'll need to inject less basal than before, so it may mean she needs to reduce the dose further from 18 units to prevent the early morning hypo's, as Enginner says carry out some bedtime bg checks to monitor her bg throughout the night, it's a pain doing so and disrupts sleeping but it's the only way unfortunately.

Good luck!

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 2, only ever been on Lantus since Glic and Met stopped being effective. She is 80 next week. We are to continue dropping the lantus until the bloods remain stable apparently. So we were doing the right thing it just seems to be taking its time.

Thanks for the info.

Ali

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a quick update, unearthed a urinary tract infection today so that could go part way towards explaining these sudden hypos. She has never ever ever had hypos so I bet it hasn't helped at all.

Thanks for the replies.

Ali

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not nice for your mum, hope she feels better soon!

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Noblehead. No it isn't but sadly it happens on a regular basis, comes with a degree of incontinence and hygiene issues I am afraid. The Doc's response is that there is nothing to prevent it and all we can ever do is treat it each time. I did tell him yesterday that I thought she had one and could we have some antibiotics. In the end I got her to do a sample and whipped it up to the surgery and sweet talked the receptionist into getting a nurse to check it. He he.

Ali

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ali H said:
Thanks Noblehead. No it isn't but sadly it happens on a regular basis, comes with a degree of incontinence and hygiene issues I am afraid. The Doc's response is that there is nothing to prevent it and all we can ever do is treat it each time. I did tell him yesterday that I thought she had one and could we have some antibiotics. In the end I got her to do a sample and whipped it up to the surgery and sweet talked the receptionist into getting a nurse to check it. He he.

My mum was the same Ali, had constant water infections and always seemed to be on antibiotics :(

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What is it they say? Old age doesn't come alone lol! She is 80 on Monday so hopefully she will feel a bit better by then.

Ali

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ali H said:
What is it they say? Old age doesn't come alone lol! She is 80 on Monday so hopefully she will feel a bit better by then.

Ali

A fine age to reach Ali :)

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup, I have Dad here with us, he is 89! Married 60 years next July.

Ali