Lantus pain

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using Lantus since diagnosis 19 months ago and never had any issues, not even the "sting" that many people report.

However in the past couple of weeks it's been causing a bad ache around the injection site and this ache can continue all day. It's not a sting or sharp pain but more like a bruise pain; almost as if I have been punched!

I tried using a new pen but still having the same issue.

Any ideas? Weird that this would suddenly start when I've never had pain from it before. Wondering if it might be a bad batch or maybe my fridge froze if without my realising and that's causing it?

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
I am on Lantus and do experience the "sting" some times. Never had a pain. I always make sure the Lantus is at room temperature. I always inject at the top of my thigh.

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had the achy bruise feeling before. Usually but not always turned into a faint yellow bruise a few days later. All I can suggest is to try a different area or talk to your doctor/nurse about alternatives like Tresiba and Levemir.

You're not using it straight out of the fridge are you? Also, no harm in trying a new cartridge from a different pack.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The other thing it could be is a change in location which needs a different needle length. If you are feeling like it is bruising, this may be an alternative thing you could look at.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all, no, not using it straight out of the fridge. I'll try a new pen from a different pack as a first step.

@tim2000s - so could a needle that was too short cause this bruising feeling? I use the 4mm needles. Now I come to think of it I have perhaps been injecting further down into the fattier "cheek" area of the buttock rather than the back upper thigh like I used to, so you could possibly be on to something.

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
Looks like we are getting somewhere ;)

debsugs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I inject the top and side of thigh and occasionally get the sting and bruised felling. About once a week I get a bruise too, I also use 4mm!