Lantus v Levemir

iklpixi

Hi all, i've been on the lantus optiset regime for years now - i've never had best bg results but then have never been the 'best' diabetic, never thought for a moment that the insulin i'm on may also be contributing to this. However, yesterday i read by a fellow member of this community that she'd finally changed to Levemir from the lantus which had been making her feel terrible....

Has anyone else had any experience of their long-acting insulin perhaps not being the best? Any advice would be greatly welcomed, i'm new to this community (joined yesterday) and i think it's absolutely amazing having this opportunity to talk about things others 'get'

I've my annual review coming up in March so will be discussing LOADS with him this time....

cheers everyone :?

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi iklpixi,

If you're currently using a single daily dose of Lantus, then you may well see some improvement in control by trying a split dose instead.

Personally, I get on better with Levemir, although, I did use Lantus(split twice a day) for several years without any major problems.

Regards,
timo.

chris160266

hi I've been using Lantus with Novo rapid for about 4yrs now, with carb counting and loads of testing.
There's one thing latley that i can't seam to resolve, which is high morning blood sugar levels.
I inject lantus 7am, along with meal insulin then carb count and inject when i eat etc...
Generally my levels may start ok-ish at 7am ie 8-10, then peak about mid am 18-25, and gradually get back to sensible levels mid afternoon.
I've checked over night levels incase its a rebound thing, but that seems ok.
I've also moved my basal injection time around, 6pm -10pm etc with no improvment.

Question is has any one had a similar issue that has been improved by changing to Levemir, maybe then twice daily.

Doc, once suggested the moring highs could be due to 'morning syndrome'. Where your body's natural waking adrenalin pushes sugars into your system to give you a start!!!

Chris.

rabdcd

I was on a Levemir Novo Rapid regime for a long time but I found that Levemir didn´t last 24 hours and for me it was best to dose every 12 hours and all my injection sites where lumpy and quite sore

Whilst using Levemir my sugars suddenly went sky high and after lots of investigation (I was wired up for a week) the doctor said sorry Levemir doesn´t work anymore so I started a new regime of Lantus Apidra, my sugar level are good but again I have to split the Lantus but I like Apidra because it works really fast. The biggest downside with Lantus is it is making me FAT!! I´ve gained 10kg in 10 months

So I guess there is good and bad in both Insulin’s and what suits me might not suit you

Robert

Fujifilm

I used Lantus for years awful stuff, went onto Levemir and not much improvment although I only gave it 4 weeks.

I am now on Porcine (pig insulin) and feel loads better and control is easier. Its taking a bit of fine adjustment but I am getting there.

Apart from rolling around in mud and snorting out in the woods, no side effects. :lol:

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
On Levemir but it only lasts till midday

JonTheBlue

Originally put on Levemir/Novo Rapid just over a year ago but found that bg getting high around 6pm. Switched to Lantus/Novo Rapid after completing the DAFNE cource in November last year. Evening bg's now much better, only one injection of Lantus a day and so far none of the side effects described above. :)