Lantus

Sarahxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

So I’m at my wits end with my Lantus ATM. I take it around 9.30am but I am having hypos around 1-1.30am. I reduced by one unit and found I ran higher all day yet I went to bed with a higher than normal reading 9.8 woke up at 1.30 was at 6.2 and by morning it was 4.8.
Did this for a few days an reduced by another unit which then I ran high all day.
Has anyone else had this? How did you overcome it?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Reactions: kev-w

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with the above - if the profile of Lantus doesn't suit you (which it seems like it isn't) then ask for a different basal insulin. I personally haven't been on Lantus for years, but was recently switched from Levemir to Tresiba on advice of my consultant. I wasn't sure at first, but it's been really great for me as it has a very flat profile (not curved, like Lantus, where it starts slow and peaks after a number of hours) and it is ultra long acting so I never run out before my next shot!

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I'm finding Lantus to require a larger dose to last 24 hours than it needs to maintain a baseline (if that makes sense) and I also think I see variations in how it works from day to day, it's a lot more stable than I remember the older (humalin I & human insulatard and ones before) insulin to be. The consultant suggested changing to Tresiba back in January but I didn't fancy it then, but think I do now whilst wearing the Libre.
Question tho (sorry for the thread hijack) do you inject the same amount each day around the same time?

eabhamurphy

This was my problem with Lantus. To avoid hypos I had to have highs which I wouldn't accept. First thing was splitting the Lantus dose, which confused me and I honestly struggled to remember to take it twice. They then switched me to tresiba. They said if that didn't work they would have to give me a pump. I didn't even try the tresiba, I wanted a pump.
It was odd for me because for the first five or so years, Lantus worked really well. Then it didn't.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Question tho (sorry for the thread hijack) do you inject the same amount each day around the same time?

I inject 17 units at 8am, but for one week in the month when I’m a bit I insulin resistant I up it to 18.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I think I'm finding Lantus to require a larger dose to last 24 hours than it needs to maintain a baseline (if that makes sense) and I also think I see variations in how it works from day to day, it's a lot more stable than I remember the older (humalin I & human insulatard and ones before) insulin to be. The consultant suggested changing to Tresiba back in January but I didn't fancy it then, but think I do now whilst wearing the Libre.

I went from 18 units of Lantus at 10pm to 11 units of Tresiba at 10pm within 2 months with the help of the Libre

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I inject 17 units at 8am, but for one week in the month when I’m a bit I insulin resistant I up it to 18.
I skipped that thread and the menopause HRT one :) but thanks as it's the 24 hour life I', hoping for.
I went from 18 units of Lantus at 10pm to 11 units of Tresiba at 10pm within 2 months with the help of the Libre
Again thanks as it's the 24 hours :).
Last week whilst chasing my Libre script I was told I could ring to book to see a DSN, but today I'm told I can't as there's no appointments, but am owed 4 sensors from clinic and am going to go get some .8mm needles to try as they asked why I was using 12mm's so will have a pester in person...

To the OP, do you carb count, eat around the same times etc? Myself I have my Lantus around 10pm and if late eating the following evening can see a drop from it as I've no active bolus at that point.
Why do I take my basal on an evening? I haven't got a clue, other than that's what I was told to do 33 years back, and no-ones suggested changing...

Sarahxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take the same amount at the same time each day and carb count. I don’t eat late so by 10-11pm all short acting should be out my system.
I tried split dose but again remembering an extra needle was a pain an found my requirements where more during the day and couldn’t sort the doses so that’s why I put it to the morning.
I’m finding I also need a lot of the Lantus (27 units) just to get me through the day then hypo at night.
I also used to take the Lantus at night but morning sugars where always high and when it got to teatime I was running high.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i am currently using lantus i took 10 units at 10pm but that was not enough yet 11 units sent me hypo around 3/4am mentioned this to diabetes team and was given a half unit pen so now i take 10and a half units and that seems fine although reading what others have said about tresiba will ask if maybe i can change to that :)

Sarahxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i am currently using lantus i took 10 units at 10pm but that was not enough yet 11 units sent me hypo around 3/4am mentioned this to diabetes team and was given a half unit pen so now i take 10and a half units and that seems fine although reading what others have said about tresiba will ask if maybe i can change to that :)
See the problem I’m having is that if I reduce my insulin by one unit I run high all day then still drop overnight.
Maybe tresiba is a better option.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
See the problem I’m having is that if I reduce my insulin by one unit I run high all day then still drop overnight.
it may well be sarah but as i said b4 ask about a half unit pen its worked fine for me also i take my lantus at nighttime not if a day thats what i was told to do and i notice in your post you take yours at 9am:)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I skipped that thread and the menopause HRT one :) but thanks as it's the 24 hour life I', hoping for.

Again thanks as it's the 24 hours :).
Last week whilst chasing my Libre script I was told I could ring to book to see a DSN, but today I'm told I can't as there's no appointments, but am owed 4 sensors from clinic and am going to go get some .8mm needles to try as they asked why I was using 12mm's so will have a pester in person...

12mm in length??? WOW you must have thick skin Kev. Mine are 4mm in length :D

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've recently discovered taking 3 units less of Lantus each day has no noticeable effect, so maybe you're right :)
12mm in length??? WOW you must have thick skin Kev. Mine are 4mm in length :D
I discovered shorter needles from this site, I asked my GP who told me to ask the clinic and they were getting back to me so I got back to them, and today I was told that 12mm weren't recommended....
33 years....

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@kev-w that size brings back terrible memories from my childhood with the glass and metal syringes and needles as long as darning needles (darning needles were probably sharper!). Been on 4mm for 3 years now, was on 6mm for probably 10 years before that. You'll think your in heaven with the shorter needles mate :)

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've recently discovered taking 3 units less of Lantus each day has no noticeable effect, so maybe you're right :)

I discovered shorter needles from this site, I asked my GP who told me to ask the clinic and they were getting back to me so I got back to them, and today I was told that 12mm weren't recommended....
33 years....
Go for 4mm told by my team nobody needs anything longer these days.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Changed from Lantus to Toujeo two years ago. So much flatter, and back to one dose a day instead of two. I take it first thing in the morning as that is convenient for me. I was told it doesn’t matter when you take basal as long as it’s the same time each day.