Laser eye surgery

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am considering laser eye surgery for vision correction (I am slightly short-sighted; about -1.5 in both eyes).

Will I be eligible with Type 1 diabetes?

I have had my annual retinopathy tests since being dx'd in 2014 and never had any issues.

My hba1c results have been in the 5s in the last few years.

Grateful to hear any experiences!

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
think you may find this will have to funded by yourself .
as vision comes under ones ones costs to improve your vision but if you do get it done by NHS well done you
have been laser many times since i was at moorfields way back in the 1990 s
bit like star wars but has saved my eyes ..
if you can afford it may be money well spent , but do be careful who does it somebody who works for NHS and does it private may be
vic 63 years on insulin

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @vic hill - yes, I know I will have to pay for it I was more interested in checking if anyone with T1D had any experiences and/or were told they were not eligible because of their T1D.

Reactions: Dodo

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am considering laser eye surgery for vision correction (I am slightly short-sighted; about -1.5 in both eyes).

Will I be eligible with Type 1 diabetes?

I have had my annual retinopathy tests since being dx'd in 2014 and never had any issues.

My hba1c results have been in the 5s in the last few years.

Grateful to hear any experiences!
I enquired about laser surgery some 30 years ago. They weren’t too enthusiastic about Type 1 diabetics having it then. Things have probably changed since then but I think you’ll find they insist you have extremely tight control of your diabetes.

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
I enquired last year and was told they won't do it on T1d

Really? How come? Doesn't it just take an hour? I was thinking of getting it done, I started getting blurry vision in the distance and it's annoying enough to fix. My eye doctor visit told me it has nothing to do with being type 1, no retinopathy or other issues whatsoever, just getting older.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A few years ago now, I asked an optometrist friend if she'd had laser corrective surgery (she's a spectacle/lenses wearer) and her answer was that she would not.

When I asked her why, her reasons were fairly basic, but sort of went along the lines of citing the potential to end up in a worse place than before, then later in life needing reading glasses anyway.

Of course, like all other procedures, things will have improved since then, and many, many more cases will have been done, but my personal view is that I'll stick with the level of short-sightedness that I have. OK, the fact that I can function without corrective lenses and as an example, haven't gone to the trouble of having corrective lenses in my dive mask, perhaps my need simply isn't great enough to trigger then want.

I've just done the briefest of Gogogle searches and returned this:
https://www.bettervisionguide.com/diabetes-and-lasik/
https://www.londonvisionclinic.com/can-i-have-laser-eye-treatment-if-i-am-diabetic/

Good luck with whatever you decide.