Laser Eye Treatment Surgery- What Were Your Results

Zepar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Posting here as I am incredibly worried. I'm a type 1 diabetic of 18 years, diagnosed when I was 10. Up until two years ago, and for several years before it, I had pre-proliferative retinopathy in both my eyes, but it never really advanced or did much, and didn't cause me any issues. I was seen every 6 - 12 months by the eye screening team. Once corona virus hit, I was given appointments, but they were always cancelled, and there was then a bit of radio silence.

I finally got an appointment about 3 months ago, which I attended. I could tell immediately that something was wrong, as when I had to read the (what I've very scientifically called) the bit where the letters start big and get smaller, my left eye seemed fine, but my right was dreadful. I don't often look at things in detail with one eye shut, so I never noticed. I was diagnosed with sight threatening retinopathy.

I've just been to the eye clinic today for further tests, and have been told that I need laser eye surgery in both of my eyes. I've been told that the surgery will reduce my field of vision, and looking it up online, there may also be affects on my central vision and night vision. I've been told that I'll be having both eyes operated on at the same time, and it will take two surgeries to complete.

I'm a motorcyclist, and keen not to lose my driving license, I don't know what I'd do.

I'm curious to hear from people who've had laser eye surgery. What side effects or consequences did you suffer after it? How bad was the permanent loss of vision following surgery? How frightening or uncomfortable was the surgery itself?

Just looking to get a realistic idea of what I might be dealing with, and how my life might change, or to put my mind at rest as I am thinking of the worst case scenario right now.

Thanks to all!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm curious to hear from people who've had laser eye surgery. What side effects or consequences did you suffer after it? How bad was the permanent loss of vision following surgery? How frightening or uncomfortable was the surgery itself?

Just looking to get a realistic idea of what I might be dealing with, and how my life might change, or to put my mind at rest as I am thinking of the worst case scenario right now.
Hi @Zepar , welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear about your eyes. Thankfully I have no experience with it but I'll tag @Grant_Vicat and @Oldvatr for you. I believe both have had laser treatment with good results, they'll see the tag when they are next online.

Best wishes!

Zepar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Zepar , welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear about your eyes. Thankfully I have no experience with it but I'll tag @Grant_Vicat and @Oldvatr for you. I believe both have had laser treatment with good results, they'll see the tag when they are next online.

Best wishes!
Hi @Antje77, thank you very much, appreciate the welcome and the added visibility. (no pun intended)

• Friendly
Reactions: Antje77

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi @Antje77, thank you very much, appreciate the welcome and the added visibility. (no pun intended)
Hi @Zepar and thank you for the tag @Antje77
I first had laser treatment in early 1979 when it was a very new idea. I had several sessions at King's College Hospital, London, and both eyes had to be done up till 1983. Here is a description I wrote about the experience:
Both my eyes had haemhorrhaged more than once, and I experienced several sessions of photocoagulation. On the first occasion, in 1979, I was admitted as an in-patient. It was decided that I should be in full control of my faculties. My head was placed in a stirrup and grease was applied to my eye, so that a lens could be applied for a magnified view of my retina. I was petrified. When the first laser burn made its mark, I was surprised that I wasn’t in agony. It was comparable to somebody flicking their finger-tip against the side of my hand, therefore uncomfortable and irritating. After 860 of these burns I lost consciousness. It was assumed that I was experiencing a hypo, but I managed to persuade the lady that I had passed out due to lack of manliness. She informed me that at least another 400 burns would be necessary and therefore I would need to be readmitted. This duly took place and I experienced my first general anaesthetic. Later on two nurses appeared at the bed side and I said “Has it happened yet?”
“Yes dear. You should have heard your language as you were being wheeled into the theatre!”

Obviously my pain threshold may be different from other people's, but I think the fact that I was "pleasantly" surprised is a bonus. As to effects on my vision, I have scarring which I only notice if I am trying to look for say a high flying fighter jet and confuse it with scarring. I still have a driving licence even though the bottom right corner of my right eye has a blind spot. If I am staring straight ahead through the windscreen it means that I can't see the shelf below the steering wheel on that side - no big deal. My visual acuity is still excellent. I only wear reading glasses (as in my Avatar) and long-distance glasses for driving. I can pass the sight test for DVLA even without these. I put this down to tight control from 1979 onwards.
I truly wish you the very best of luck with this and hope you are not as worried.

Reactions: Trishhh and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I first had laser treatment in early 1979 when it was a very new idea.
Ah, I didn't realise your treatment was this long ago!
I guess however they do it now won't much relate to your experience, but very happy to hear the treatment worked so well even over 40 years ago, when it was a new thing. :)

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Ah, I didn't realise your treatment was this long ago!
I guess however they do it now won't much relate to your experience, but very happy to hear the treatment worked so well even over 40 years ago, when it was a new thing. :)
My thinking is that if it worked that well with primeval treatment (an ophthalmologist only about 10 years later said "Blimey it looks like a street map of London, but even though it was primitive, it worked!") then modern treatment is likely to be more effective. Let's hope!

• Agree
Reactions: Trishhh and Antje77

paulmgsmith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, i know its an old post now but was wondering how your eyes are now after the treatment of laser surgery? Going through the same myself and nice to hear other peoples stories

Reactions: Trishhh

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Sorry, i know its an old post now but was wondering how your eyes are now after the treatment of laser surgery? Going through the same myself and nice to hear other peoples stories
I wish you the best of luck. Stable blood sugars helps stave off accelerated damage.