LASER TREATMENT FOR DIABETIC RETINOPATHY

johnoswaldallan

Dislikes
Injustice
I would like to hear from any one who has had laser treatment for diabetic retinopathy and if it improved their situation. I am told that I need to have it done but I have been advised that it is not without risk i.e. you can lose your night vision and possibly some peripheral vision. The only person I know who had similar problems to mine had extensive laser surgery and within 3 months had to give up driving. He was referred from our local hospital to Moorfield Eye Hospital who were concerned at the amount of laser treatment that had been carried out but they were not able to do anything for him. He of course may be just unlucky

Regards

John

stockcar19

Unless it is essential I would avoid it like the plague.I had some done about three years ago and would not have any more,my night vision is not as good as it was and generally I think my sight was better before I had it done.I would say that since then my sight does not seem to have got any worse.Also it is not without risk as though it is does not hurt ,it is very uncomfortable and your natural reaction is to try to move your head/eye which in turn can cause irreversible damage.

Regards
Pete

Nellie

Can't reply from personal experience but from what I've read on other forums (perhaps you could google some, several have specific areas for eyes) it can be very effective. It is I believe the only treatment available that may stabilise retinopathy. There is some info here that might help you with your decision. If you are worried about your local hospital perhaps (?) you could ask your GP to advise you elsewhere for a second opinion.
http://medweb.bham.ac.uk/easdec/laserdiabetic_retinopathy.html

Good luck

stockcar19

John
Having read Nellie's posting and looked at the article ,i think mine was for maculopathy and I agree that I can still see dark areas in one eye,also if I close that eye tightly I can still see the bright blue laser light.
I hope this is helpful but as people on this site say , what works for one may or may not work for another and that my opinion is tainted by the fact I haven't really got any confidence in the hospital
involved.I think if I had more problems I would probably try somewhere like Moorfields if only for a confidence booster as I don't like the idea of not being able to drive.

Regards
Pete

KimSuzanne

Had ALOT of laser treatment to both eyes a few years ago my night vision is sometimes a bit cloudy but I over 1,000 'hits' on one eye but my peripheral vision is fine had that tested about a year after the laser was done no problems- its taken the shadows away.

tasha

Hi John,
I had minimal laser in one eye last year at the age of 26 :cry: .
I have nothing but praise for it.
It WAS wierd having it done and very scary. You do have to keep your eye very still and your reflex has to be stopped by prising your eye lid open and keeping you head very still. But I was fine after a couple of mins and just took a couple of (unnecessary) days off work.
One year on, my optometrist last month couldn't see any signs of retinopathy and was surprised I'd had laser. Went back to hospital a couple of weeks ago, and my retinopathy has improved a great deal. Only very minor bleeding, definatly no need for intervention! This could even continue to improve with stable BS.

I'm so chuffed! My doctor at time last year said without the surgery I would be blind within the year.
I couldn't recommend it enough :D

bonerp

I've had quite a lot of laser surgery, over the last 8 yrs I'd say most years I had some at least twice a year but over the last 18 months generally some every 6 weeks to 3 months and often 1200 shots+ a time.
Its necessary to to newly growing blood vessels that can leak in the back of the eye causing blindness if untreated.
I still get the occassional small bleeds but these either heal or get zapped up as I always contact the hospital when it happens - they let it settle for about 2 weeks before carrying out any laser.
To say it should be avoided like the plague is just a stupid thing to say - it would save your sight if you're retinopathy develops (you wont know either if you dont get it checked).
Yes it can reduce your night vision - but hey at least you still have vision.
My eye sight is suprisingly good considering how much I've had - I dont wear glasses except for driving occassionally. I'd rather not have needed it but this is the result of poor control.
What they do is put drops in your eyes, one to dilate your pupils and another as an anaesthetic. About 20 mins later you are asked into a consulting room and they put a big contact lense on your eye ball (you cant feel anything - just have weird vision!!) then they use a very bright light to pinpoint the newly growing or leaking blood vessels. Then they start zapping with a bright green light to burn away the vessels - its an on off light that runs very quickly. Takes about 20 mins for a good session.
You need to look exactly where he says and dont move at all otherwise as previously said it can damage your vision. I go off into a day dream cos its so boring!
It doesnt normally hurt and even if it does get a bit painful they can turn the intensity down a bit. It gets a bit uncomfortable towards the end but just think 'its this or my sight' - soon makes you put up with it.
As I said previously, its your sight - you can either be without it, or with it following laser treatment. Its short term mild pain for long term gain!
Its not that bad! Really. Afterwards you may have a headache and you wont be able to focus on things close up. Go home to bed for a couple of hours. Things are usually ok after that.
I hope this helps and doesnt scare the living **** out of you!!!
Paul

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My tyoe 1 husband has had it done several times and always been fine. Now he needs it again, because he had cataract surgery and the implants are slightly coated and need to be cleaned.