Eireannn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, yuck
Hi guys,
Currently I have been having very irregular periods, but they haven't been that big of a gap. Maybe 3-5 days. 3 months ago, it started on the 15th. After that, it started around 5 days later (I was really concerned and even went for a pregnancy test which showed up negative)... This month, my period hasn't came at all... and I don't even remember if it came last month too. I'm 100% not pregnant. What worries me more is that my bestfriend and I start at the same time and she was quite late too, but started only a few days ago.

My question is can diabetics have delayed/missed periods and is it quite common? Help :(

Edit: I have been having really high blood sugars this past month... can this also add to it?

Reactions: Snapsy

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
All I can tell you is my experience. Before being dxd with T 1 I had weird cycles. Losing loads of weight I was told I was post meno. After insulin and gaining weight back I was told back in peri meno. Now post meno again but 53 years old. So I do believe the body mot functioning on all cylinders can cause hormonal challenges.

Reactions: Eireannn

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My question is can diabetics have delayed/missed periods and is it quite common
Hi Eireannn, not in my experience, but it might be worth getting your thyroid function checked.

When I was massively hyperthyroid (for a very long time before it was diagnosed) I was having periods every two weeks.

When the overactive thyroid was finally treated and they then didn't put me on any replacement thyroxine I became massively hypothyroid and didn't have a period for 10 months.

Might be worth getting checked out.

Hugs!

Eireannn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, yuck
Thank you both @Snapsy and @Kristin251 my period thankfully started today! Panic over, but best still and find out why it was so late...