Latest HbA1c results - hurrah!

Ailidh

Diagnosed in mid-June at 61 (reading, not age, I'm "only" 60! )

2nd HbA1c in mid-September - 33.

"Happy" doesn't begin to cover it.

I do have a stunning and enlightened DNurse but I also want to thank contributors here. I cannot manage LCHF, it b*ggers my digestion, but I have reduced my calorie intake very considerably based on what I read here, so thank you; Very Much!

:)

Reactions: 14 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed in mid-June at 61 (reading, not age, I'm "only" 60! )

2nd HbA1c in mid-September - 33.

"Happy" doesn't begin to cover it.

I do have a stunning and enlightened DNurse but I also want to thank contributors here. I cannot manage LCHF, it b*ggers my digestion, but I have reduced my calorie intake very considerably based on what I read here, so thank you; Very Much!

:)

Very well done. That's a great score.

Purely as a matter of interest, what is it about the LCHF way of eating that impacted your digestion, and (without any indelicacy!) how?

Did you have a full panel of bloods, or just an HbA1c? If you had the full panel, how were your lipids impacted?

Reactions: 4 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Congratulations @Ailidh! You have done well there and inspired me to hopefully get a similar reduction for my next test in November (diagnosed as HbA1c: 49 three weeks ago).

Reactions: 2 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
Congratulations well done :D

Ailidh

Thank you for the kind comments!
I'm now working on the cholesterol. It was 6.8 (1.17 HDL) in June and 6.3 (1.25 HDL) in September.
DN has given me Atorvastatin 20mg.
I wasn't wildly enthusiastic, of the 2 people I know who took statins, this one included, 2 of them came right off again with side effects. However, I've now taken 6 with no side effects beyond mild constipation. As the 500mg Metformin gives me medium diarrhoea, the two are large cancelling each other out! ;)

I had my first appointment with the diabetes dietitian last week. What a waste. The worst advice I've had from anybody in this whole diabetes "journey". Eat more starchy carbs! Eat starchy carbs at every meal! Yea, right. She actually said, "You've cut your carb intake, THAT's why your BG is down so much" in the tone of voice that suggested I'd done something wrong.

So, struggling a wee bit, trying to find lowish carb foods that are also low fat. Like I said before, LCHF doesn't suit me but lowISH does. Determined to carry on this way until BG continues stable and cholesterol improves.
BTW, on cholesterol, I don't understand: if you reduce your (bad) cholesterol levels with diet or with diet and statins, does that just prevent more build up, or does it help to erode any cholesterol already blocking the blood vessels?
Ta.