Latest HBA1C - stunned!

Monday12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A brief history...

Diagnosed with Type 2 in December when a HBA1C test came back with a result of 70.

I immediately "wised up." Joined this forum, changed my diet and lifestyle. Took my meds (metformin, statins) faithfully.

In January, my HBA1c was down to 58.
In February - 49.
May (testing now three-monthly, not every month as my GP tells me I'm in good control....). - 45.

My latest test was last week. I'm seeing the doctor later this week to get the results, but they've actually been uploaded to my record on NHS Scotland's mydiabetesmyway web site, which is brilliant, BTW.

My new result is 36!!! Is that even possible????? I'm in shock...

Over this period, my lifestyle and diet work has seen me lose 3.5 stones and am down to a svelte 11st 0lb. My cholesterol measures are now all fine, my blood pressure is firmly into the normal range. I've even stopped snoring! And my knees no longer creak...

My wife is really really pleased. It's a genuine joy to see how proud she is of me!

Thought I'd share this. I've had great inspiration from all the people here. I don't post a lot, but I check in every day.

Reactions: 51 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
A brief history...

Diagnosed with Type 2 in December when a HBA1C test came back with a result of 70.

I immediately "wised up." Joined this forum, changed my diet and lifestyle. Took my meds (metformin, statins) faithfully.

In January, my HBA1c was down to 58.
In February - 49.
May (testing now three-monthly, not every month as my GP tells me I'm in good control....). - 45.

My latest test was last week. I'm seeing the doctor later this week to get the results, but they've actually been uploaded to my record on NHS Scotland's mydiabetesmyway web site, which is brilliant, BTW.

My new result is 36!!! Is that even possible????? I'm in shock...

Over this period, my lifestyle and diet work has seen me lose 3.5 stones and am down to a svelte 11st 0lb. My cholesterol measures are now all fine, my blood pressure is firmly into the normal range. I've even stopped snoring! And my knees no longer creak...

My wife is really really pleased. It's a genuine joy to see how proud she is of me!

Thought I'd share this. I've had great inspiration from all the people here. I don't post a lot, but I check in every day.
Wowyour hard work does you credit,big well done,nice too hear,thanks for sharing

Reactions: 8 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations.

The knees are a nice bonus as well, I noticed that when I lost the weight as well.

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well done and it's no wonder your wife is pleased :)

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's a wonderful result - a well deserved gold star from me! :p:p

gold_star.png
Robbity

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations and very well done. I just hope my results in October as so impressive.

Monday12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the kind words and the encouragement everyone. I went on a diet immediately after my diagnosis. Not exactly LCHF, but I count my carbs every day and try to keep to about 100g. I'm not too specific about it - I don't worry if I go under or over a little. Basically I've banished all the bad snacks from my diet, and I make my carbs "count" if you know what I mean. It hasn't always been easy - I travel a lot with business and stay in hotels a lot, still. I've learned how to eat healthily in restaurants.

Is my HBA1C result of 36 unusual? I'm a bit worried that it's a mistake to be honest.......

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the kind words and the encouragement everyone. I went on a diet immediately after my diagnosis. Not exactly LCHF, but I count my carbs every day and try to keep to about 100g. I'm not too specific about it - I don't worry if I go under or over a little. Basically I've banished all the bad snacks from my diet, and I make my carbs "count" if you know what I mean. It hasn't always been easy - I travel a lot with business and stay in hotels a lot, still. I've learned how to eat healthily in restaurants.

Is my HBA1C result of 36 unusual? I'm a bit worried that it's a mistake to be honest.......

Not everyone can manage to get as low as 36. My last was 31, and the previous, 33, 32, 34, 37, then the only other one I have was my diagnostic score of 73. I reduced from 73 to 37 between the end of October and the end of January, so it is possible if the individual is fortunate enough to find a way of eating to suit them, and their body remains functional. Some folks have beta cell damage or a few other things which mean they realistically can't get that low, without medication. I take no medication whatsoever.

Now, of course, you have to maintain your excellent control, so stick with it!

Reactions: 8 people

Monday12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks again everyone. I see my GP on Thursday, I think she's going to faint! She was already amazed at my test in May which came back with 45. I intend to come off all meds and hope she agrees. Maybe Glaswegians don't have a great rep in taking control of their type 2.......

I know that nothing has changed. I got here by diet, exercise and lifestyle, and to stay healthy I have to continue on this path - no slacking! I'm still losing weight though, and I'm about where I want to be, and I haven't worked out how to stabilise without jeopardising the BC control. Maybe I will just let my weight settle where it does. I'm not hungry, and I'm fitter than I have been my whole life.

And, as I sAid, my wife looks at me with awe and love, which can't be bad!

I'm a 60 yo male BTW. Never had a real health problem in my life until this.

Last edited by a moderator:

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

My HBA1C is similar now, but I don't specifically 'carb count', I just avoid those that effect it badly.

Last edited by a moderator:

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, if I get anywhere near your numbers I would be over the moon. Congratulations - that is a truly great achievement.

Reactions: 4 people

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations! Well done :cool: I got my blood sample taken today, so stay tuned! :nailbiting: