Type 2 Latest HbA1c test, not sure whether to be pleased or dissapointed

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just rang up for the results of last weeks HbA1c test. It was 56 mmol/mol. That is down from the first test I had in September of 79, but my overwhelming feeling is disappointment. As I understand it 56 mmol/mol equates to about 8 mmol/l. During my daily testing I haven't had a result in the 8's for 3 weeks, normally I am in the 5 - 7 range.

I guess I should be grateful I am at least moving in the right direction. I have to say though it makes me think perhaps I will give Metformin a try.

Am I just being impatient? Should I think about getting a different testing meter?

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
56 = 7.3. 79 = 9.4 so you are making good progress!

Reactions: 2 people

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
To get such a large reduction in just a few weeks is a fantastic achievement, well done @Klangley.
As one of the more experienced members pointed out to me when I was first diagnosed, its a marathon not a sprint. You are making great progress, keep at it.

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
That's a very good drop in so little time, well done. Rome wasn't built in a day so have some patience :)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@Klangley,
Two points:
1) your HbA1c is on the way down so congratulations:)
2) HbA1c taken last week (say Fri 30th at latest) prev HbA1c in Sept so max60 days so effects of the expected 120 days would stil overlap prev HbA1c
so chill, you may still be moving down!:);)

As Confucius, he say, Man eating elephant should do it one mouthful at a time!

Reactions: 5 people

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the feedback guys. I just re-read some of the blurb on the HbA1c and noted.....the HbA1c test serves as an overall marker of what your average levels are over a period of 2-3 months. Given I have only been at this diet and exercise thingy for less than 2 months, I guess it make sense that it will be a while before all the hard work shows up in the HbA1c.

I cant thank people on this site enough for all there patient advice and support. Almost restoring my faith in human nature........