Latest hba1c

Echob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi
I have been diabetic since about March this year, my hba1c in May was 61 unmedicated, I then went on metformin mr 500mg twice daily and my latest hb is 58 , is this a reasonable drop and would it be classed as controlled or do I need to see gp (highly difficult as can't get appt for weeks, docs on holiday and is only doctors in town).
Any advice appreciated

Echo

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
58 is still well into the diabetic range so I wouldn't say it is controlled but at least the numbers are going in the right direction. Metformin by itself wont make that much of a difference, making diet and lifestyle changes will be more beneficial.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it is still well within the diabetic range, but going in the right direction so you are doing something right.. You need to be under 48 to take yourself out of that range. I believe the NHS generally accepts an HbA1c of less than 53 as being controlled. Metformin only helps to a very limited extent. Diet is the key, and to help you with this, you need a blood glucose meter. Have you got one? If not, I strongly urge you to get one.

Why would you want to see a doctor at this stage? He could, of course, increase your medication, but is that what you want? It would perhaps be better to adjust your diet and eat to a meter.

Echob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Yes I have a meter, I have also modified my diet and have lost approx 10lb in the last 8 weeks so feel I'm on the right track, eating lots of fish salad and cut back on carbs. No I don't want more medication (I'm on loads apart from metformin)but still don't know much about diabetes and what I should be expecting.
Echo

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Yes I have a meter, I have also modified my diet and have lost approx 10lb in the last 8 weeks so feel I'm on the right track, eating lots of fish salad and cut back on carbs. No I don't want more medication (I'm on loads apart from metformin)but still don't know much about diabetes and what I should be expecting.
Echo

You are doing well, and that is an excellent weight loss

Good you have a meter. Keep testing your meals, look for the spikes, keep a food diary, and try to tweak your meals accordingly. . Aim not to go above 7.8 at any time, preferably less. Your HbA1c of 58 equates to an average of 9.3mmol/l (as per the measurements on our meters) so you are spending a lot of time above 7.8.

Regular, frequent testing is the way to go.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are doing well, and that is an excellent weight loss

Good you have a meter. Keep testing your meals, look for the spikes, keep a food diary, and try to tweak your meals accordingly. . Aim not to go above 7.8 at any time, preferably less. Your HbA1c of 58 equates to an average of 9.3mmol/l (as per the measurements on our meters) so you are spending a lot of time above 7.8.

Regular, frequent testing is the way to go.
If your meter ia an Accuchek or an SD Codefree then it will be calibrated to read 12% higher than the figures given by@Daisy1 in the Newbie data pack. Thus the 7,8 quoted above will actually look like 8.7 mmol;/L on one of those.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If your meter ia an Accuchek or an SD Codefree then it will be calibrated to read 12% higher than the figures given by@Daisy1 in the Newbie data pack. Thus the 7,8 quoted above will actually look like 8.7 mmol;/L on one of those.

Are you says that Accu-Chek meters intentionally read 12% higher?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you says that Accu-Chek meters intentionally read 12% higher?
Yes. The readings will be 12% higher by desgn. Then apply the 15% error allowance on top, as per the ISO standard.

My Codefree is always a couple of mmol/:L higher than my Abbott Neo meter.