gossage

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
staying at home all day
Hi All
Been quiet for a while . Got my latest blood test this week and found my HbA1c up a bit from 38 to 39 but I suppose that could have been Christmas .Still in the non diabetic rang so well pleased as I’ve introduce a few more carbs to my diet as I was lookin a bit gaunt with the weight loss . One thing I was concerned about was my total cholesterol level has gone up to 6.6 and the go wants me to go on statins . I’ve been fudging them since I was diagnosed and was wondering has anyone been put on them and what effect do they gave on bg levels and side effects in general . My Ma has been on them for years and although not diabetic she swears by them .
I've been on statins since, I think, they came out, over 20 years ago. Absolutely no side effects and my cholesterol always normal, so go for it and obviously if they do affect you, then speak to your doc. best wishes,babs

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Thanks for that bud . I’ve been telling them for years I don’t want statins but they keep telling me I’ll have an episode in the future if I don’t . I’m hounnto see them about my results in the next couple of weeks and I’ll see what the ratios are then
I'm very suspicious of medical professionals who say that anyone who has ever been diagnosed as diabetic must go on statins or the worst will happen. There is no real evidence to support the view that someone who was briefly diabetic, but is now in the normal range is at greater risk. The medical profession is only just getting to grips with the concept of diabetic remission, so how can they know what the risks are for those of us who have got our numbers into the normal range. Very well done with your HBa1c. Normal is normal whether it's 38 or 39;)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I've been on statins since, I think, they came out, over 20 years ago. Absolutely no side effects and my cholesterol always normal, so go for it and obviously if they do affect you, then speak to your doc. best wishes,babs

"Go for it" ???

Really bad advice ....

Statins can have a cumulative and negative impact for many and by the time you connect the dots back to the use of these drugs, the damage caused can be significant and take years to overcome !!!

manion

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi All
Been quiet for a while . Got my latest blood test this week and found my HbA1c up a bit from 38 to 39 but I suppose that could have been Christmas .Still in the non diabetic rang so well pleased as I’ve introduce a few more carbs to my diet as I was lookin a bit gaunt with the weight loss . One thing I was concerned about was my total cholesterol level has gone up to 6.6 and the go wants me to go on statins . I’ve been fudging them since I was diagnosed and was wondering has anyone been put on them and what effect do they gave on bg levels and side effects in general . My Ma has been on them for years and although not diabetic she swears by them .

Hi

Before you go onto statins why not try plant sterol supplements, i have added a link below but there are numerous makes etc - i take one morning and one night as does my wife, her cholesterol has gone down from 8.5 to just a shade over 6 and so hoping it will be lower next test, just a thought as they have no side affects that i am aware of.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sterols-Ta...s&qid=1553863794&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1