Latest HBA1C....

hoolyuk

Dislikes
Salad
6.2 down from 6.88 last time....despite some dietary lapses :D

Fasting bloods were 6.0 and triglycerides 1.74....overall cholesterol 4.09 although i forgot to ask for the mix.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
well done :D thats a great improvement

Harbottle

I was diagnosed T2 back in Mar this year with an hba1c of 10.3 just had my latest result today of 7.4 :D So really pleased with that. I'm controlling through diet only at the mo'. I'm 53, 6' tall and weigh 218lbs so still have some way to go. However the receptionist mentioned to me that I need to go onto metformin, I was surprised to say the least appreciate comments please.

samcogle

Well done. personally I love metformin as it supresses my appetite and helps with my weight loss. had no side effects apart from the usual bit of windiness and am hoping one day to reduce it but for the moment I am happy with the 3 a day.
Sam

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Harbottle, you dont know how relieved I am to see your post.
I am 5 ft 10 1/2 and weighed 243 pounds and am also 53.
I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with HBA1C 10.3!.
My doctor was so negative. She said that to be 10.3 on diagnosis, that there was no chance I could lower it by diet and exercise alone. She put me on 2 x 500mg of Metformin, told me to lose weight by diet and exercise, avoid sugar and come back in 3 months. She said that a glucometer was pointless at this stage!.
She went on to explain that I will be on insulin in the near future and that would likely result in my early demise.
I now cycle 5 mile each day and do a 1 hour work out.
I am down to 231 pounds but no clue how I am doing blood-wise. I see the local diabetic nurse Friday week.
As I say, I am on Metformin and I now have a very poor appetite (I used to eat for England!), though not sure if loss of appetite is due to the drug, or the fact I have been in a state of total anxiety since I met with my doctor!!.

hoolyuk

Dislikes
Salad
Harbottle said:
I was diagnosed T2 back in Mar this year with an hba1c of 10.3 just had my latest result today of 7.4 :D So really pleased with that. I'm controlling through diet only at the mo'. I'm 53, 6' tall and weigh 218lbs so still have some way to go. However the receptionist mentioned to me that I need to go onto metformin, I was surprised to say the least appreciate comments please.

Obviously everyones circumstances are different but I point blank refused to go onto any medication unless they gave me 3 months to get my readings down myself....even though the nurse had me convinced i was gonna walk out the door and keel over with a heart attack :D

You're moving in the right direction, but previous medical history should be taken into consideration.

Harbottle

Good to see all the responses, sorry to take so long to rejoin the convo' been on a much needed vacation around Scotland!!

I've been monotoring 3 times a day on waking and 1 and 2 hrs after breakfast. My exercise regime isn't as good as I would like (working shifts doesn't help) but it was upped significantly whilst on holiday.

I'm following a low GI diet and I feel this has helped considerably, my weight has dropped from 225lbs to 213lbs and remaining fairly stable without a big yo yo effect. Hopefully my next Hba1c test will still show a downward trend. However I am concerned a little that my waking levels are alittle higher than avaerage. Any pointers on what this should be would be appreciated.

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Harbottle said:

I am on metformin and it works well for me, I had a HbA1c of 10.3 also in January this year and by March I got it down to 7.3 on Metformin and other medications. I am now on Januvia (One tablet daily) and this should make sure I have no more hypos. Only draw back with metformin is to remember to take it at set times and with food.

Spiral

Harbottle said:

In 3 months I think you have done really well. The receptionist advised me my last HbA1c was "satisfactory" and I was told it was 7% when I asked. 7% seems to be the number they stop being so twitchy, it is the insulin resistant range rather than positivley diabetic :roll: I think you need to take in to account any other health problems you may have before deciding about medication.

The NHS seems to go the "inevitable decline" route :? and that medication and eventualy insulin is simply a matter of time. But from what I have learned here I don't believe that is true (I certainly don't want to beleive it is true) if you get you blood sugar under tight control. I am resisting medication, but not ruling it out.

Spiral

hoolyuk said:
6.2 down from 6.88 last time....despite some dietary lapses :D

Fasting bloods were 6.0 and triglycerides 1.74....overall cholesterol 4.09 although i forgot to ask for the mix.

Well done! My GP gave me a print out when I asked for the breakdown of my results when I saw him last.