Latest Results

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well here they are my results after 3 months of cutting down on fat to try and lower my cholesterol.
Cholesterol down from 7.1 to 6.2 BUT bloods UP from 37 to 42 !!!
Pretty upset about these results even though the DN was really pleased ?
Needless to say I am returning to my high fat way of eating as would rather have the high cholesterol than the high blood glucose!
IMG_1486557398.736546.jpg

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I would be a bit annoyed by the a1c number too, but it's still really good. And that's a big plus. There are a lot of people who'd be happy with those results.

Reactions: connie104

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have the breakdown of your previous cholesterol tests?
I think i would be scrutinising them to see which bits have dropped (i wouldn't be wanting HDL to drop, or my Trigs to rise).

Did they say anything about your serum urea? I see it is out of range, but i cannot comment because it is something i know nothing about, i am afraid.

Sorry your hba1c has increased, but it is still a great score, so please don't worry.

Have you enjoyed the cholesterol lowering diet changes, or do you prefer the blood glucose lowering way of eating? :)

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good afternoon @connie104 HbA1c of 42 is just fine my friend you have done well ,it could have been a lot worse;)

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you have the breakdown of your previous cholesterol tests?
I think i would be scrutinising them to see which bits have dropped (i wouldn't be wanting HDL to drop, or my Trigs to rise).

Did they say anything about your serum urea? I see it is out of range, but i cannot comment because it is something i know nothing about, i am afraid.

Sorry your hba1c has increased, but it is still a great score, so please don't worry.

Have you enjoyed the cholesterol lowering diet changes, or do you prefer the blood glucose lowering way of eating? :)

Hated reducing the fat and it's conning right back into my diet
IMG_1486561460.202627.jpg
this was results of 6 months ago the last test 3 months ago did not do full lipid profile just total figure

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @connie104

This is a BIG ask, but can you remember if they were fasting, or not? Triglycerides vary a lot depending on whether you are fasted or not, you see. Trigs rise after a fatty meal (e.g. a LCHF meal) but then fall again as the trigs are used by the body. Trigs are also known to rise in presence of a high carb diet, and after alchohol, too. So several things can affect the results.

If the numbers are fasting, then you can try entering them into here, and see what your ratios are:
http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php

I personally think that cholesterol should only be tested when fasting (because of the trigs thing), but the NHS takes a different view. Unsurprisingly. ;)

Reactions: zand and Prem51

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always fast before my blood tests so my cholesterol is always a fasting result. Thanks for your comments it will be interesting to see the results in the next test in 6 months time

Reactions: Brunneria

Triffo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Connie104, I find this thread really interesting as I am struggling with my cholesterol. It rose from 5.2 in January to 7 this time while following the LCHF. I am now looking for ways to reduce it. I have been given another 3months to try and get it lowered before I am put back on statins. Which fats did you reduce or cut out please.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Connie104, I find this thread really interesting as I am struggling with my cholesterol. It rose from 5.2 in January to 7 this time while following the LCHF. I am now looking for ways to reduce it. I have been given another 3months to try and get it lowered before I am put back on statins. Which fats did you reduce or cut out please.

I cut out butter, cheese , full fat mayo, full fat Greek yogurt and cream. Looking at the list mostly dairy products.
I don't take any medication for diabetes or cholesterol ( tried 3 types of statins and side effects were terrible) and was taken off vildagliptin some time ago as my results were in the non diabetic level.
This 3 month "experiment " of ditching the fat has quite shocked me into how much your blood glucose can rise without the fat. I have now resumed eating fat and we will see in 6 months what happens next !!

Triffo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. It's the saturated fats you've cut out. I will try it and see how I go. I use a lot of olive oil and avocados so hopefully my BG will remain in the low 40's.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I still ate avocado every day and used olive oil as knew they are "good fats "
Good luck it's trial and error I'm afraid. Don't get forced onto Statins if you don't want to take them .