Latest treatment info from my surgery - Wales

S

serenity648

I was diagnosed just over a year ago, had fasting bloods done for cholesterol and they came back with a proper breakdown listed. This time I wasnt given the choice of a fasting blood test, and no breakdown of LDC etc available.

I rang the surgery for more information and the doctor rang me back today.

They only do a fasting blood test on diagnosis. Every other test in non-fasting, with no breakdown. I asked how I can get a fasting cholesterol test and was told I cant have one. I only get my H1Ac done once a year as well.

How am I supposed to monitor my condition?

Doctor said that nothing much would change over a year, and all I have to do is get my weight down, following the eatwell diet, and I have nothing to worry about.

I am not comfortable with this, but dont know if i am being unreasonable to expect anything further from the HCP's? Is this the usual NHS level of care? Do I need any further input from them? I feel so confused about all this. On the one hand the doctor tells me it is a serious condition, and on the other hand I am supposed to be unmonitored for a year at a time.

I didnt dare tell him I have a meter. But a meter wont check my cholesterol, will it.

I am in Wales, dont know if that makes a different.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
find a new doctor? seriously that's not good enough but I doubt its much different from what a lot of drs might tell you (although you should be able to get a breakdown cho)

Reactions: dbr10

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't had a problem with cholesterol checks so far, but I have been refused other tests so I have purchased my own (most can be done at home with finger prick tests, you just fill a small test tube and post it off) Not sure if this is an acceptable alternative for you. I don't think you should have to resort to paying for tests yourself, but if peace of mind is more important than the cost then here's a link to the site I use when necessary. Sometimes it's easier for me to just pay and save myself the stress of banging my head against a brick wall ( stress is not good for the BGs :rolleyes:)

https://www.medichecks.com/find-a-test/test/Cholesterol-Check_LIPP-/

Reactions: dbr10

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Post code lottery at it again I think. My GP has begun a 'new' process. We now get our printouts without asking. And tests are done every 6 mths.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed 3 years ago. I have no problems at all. I had 3 monthly checks initially that included full cholesterol and breakdown. After 6 months I moved to 6 monthly with the same checks. (the checks also include the usual liver/kidney/bones/FBC etc.). I am still on 6 monthly but next year I will be moved to annual. I am un-medicated and have had HbA1cs under 46 since June 2014. I am in England.

My surgery also doesn't do fasting tests after diagnosis, but I always make sure I have a morning appointment and fast anyway.

On my last test I asked for VitD, B12 and folate to be added. This was done without a quibble, and also included iron and ferritin, which I hadn't asked for.

It sounds like a money saving system that your surgery has.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed 3 years ago. I have no problems at all. I had 3 monthly checks initially that included full cholesterol and breakdown. After 6 months I moved to 6 monthly with the same checks. (the checks also include the usual liver/kidney/bones/FBC etc.). I am still on 6 monthly but next year I will be moved to annual. I am un-medicated and have had HbA1cs under 46 since June 2014. I am in England.

My surgery also doesn't do fasting tests after diagnosis, but I always make sure I have a morning appointment and fast anyway.

On my last test I asked for VitD, B12 and folate to be added. This was done without a quibble, and also included iron and ferritin, which I hadn't asked for.

It sounds like a money saving system that your surgery has.
Mine too apparently. I have been refused vit d tests even though I am taking anti depressants and a deficiency in vit d can lead to depresssion.

edit: ( I live in England )

Last edited:

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Is this the usual NHS level of care?

I see that you mention Wales so I'm assuming it's NHS Wales that you refer to. From what my friend in Cardiff is telling me NHS Wales funding is a major problem so maybe that's why you may not get the tests you refer to.
The differences between NHS Wales, NHS England and NHS Scotland are getting bigger all the time. Bring back NHS UK (I'm playing devil's advocate, the funding per person is different in Wales, England and Scotland and why the services differ).

Reactions: dbr10 and pluto1a

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Probably not helped by the number of english that cross the border for the free prescriptions.

S

serenity648

Equally the number of Welsh crossing the border for the expensive cancer treatment they are denied in Wales.

Can we ignore any comments by others which appear to be meant to stir up controversy, and that are divisive please? My questions and situation have nothing to do with anyone crossing any borders, so any comments relating to that are irrelevant and worse than useless.

:)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Why did you mention you live in Wales?
It seems very relevant to your care from your NHS.

Reactions: Freema
S

serenity648

I see that you mention Wales so I'm assuming it's NHS Wales that you refer to. From what my friend in Cardiff is telling me NHS Wales funding is a major problem so maybe that's why you may not get the tests you refer to.
The differences between NHS Wales, NHS England and NHS Scotland are getting bigger all the time. Bring back NHS UK (I'm playing devil's advocate, the funding per person is different in Wales, England and Scotland and why the services differ).

Yes, I live in Wales, I get the idea that maybe the Welsh NHS has different ways of doing things? Thats why I mentioned my location and am asking for input about the Welsh NHS rather than the English NHS, as those replies may not apply to me, and will waste the time and effort of those replying.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I live in Wales, I get the idea that maybe the Welsh NHS has different ways of doing things? Thats why I mentioned my location and am asking for input about the Welsh NHS rather than the English NHS, as those replies may not apply to me, and will waste the time and effort of those replying.

Put it in your thread title then if you aren't interested in what any of us so far have said.

It isn't a national thing at all - it is regional. Not all surgeries in Wales will follow the same pattern any more than English surgeries do. They all have different regimes. It will depend on what the practice has decided. Same with England, Scotland, Wales and anywhere else in the UK.

S

serenity648

Put it in your thread title then if you aren't interested in what any of us so far have said.

It isn't a national thing at all - it is regional. Not all surgeries in Wales will follow the same pattern any more than English surgeries do. They all have different regimes. It will depend on what the practice has decided. Same with England, Scotland, Wales and anywhere else in the UK.

I have. I have Wales in my thread title. And I dont mean I am not interested in what any of you have said. I am not sure why you think that. I mean that if there is some info which is only applicable to Wales, people need to know that English guidelines dont work here. Thats why I put Wales in my thread title. I have seen poster get tetchy if a poster hasnt put where they are from, and others have given advice which turns out to be not applicable to the original poster.

seems like i cant win here.

I simply am sharing my experince today and asking whether, under Welsh health guidelines, it is standard treatment, or if I should be asking for more input from my HCPs and, if so, what to ask for. Thats all.

Thanks to your input, I now also know that the pattern depends on the region too, so I need to take that onboard. Thank you for that information.

Reactions: Salvia

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I agree that we should be able to get this kind of test from our GPs, but if you can't and are desperate to know then there are test kits for sale on both eBay and Amazon (and I'm sure lots of other places).

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

zacthedog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injections,
Firstly ignore the arguments and don't get drawn in, simply do not answer!
Surely your NHS will have a web page somewhere with a level of service you should receive? If not phone them and ask what as a diabetic you can exoect to get. Take it from there, paying for your own tests sounds a last resort and i can't believe this level of care.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Just looking at my latest printout and the breakdown is missing. I'll have to ask.

Reactions: Freema

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just had my annual and doctors only asked for HDL and Total. Absolutely useless and a waste of money and I will tell them when I see them