Latest update

Colin Crowhurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting day, HbA1c test now 46 ! (131 on dx, 69 feb 19) now they are "not sure" about the type1 DX ad offered pills to replace insulin injections.

What do people think? Personally I can't take pills (never really had to..... and am not at all bothered by injections.
Also been suggested Libre in the past should I follow up on this or wait till diagnosis confirmed?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting day, HbA1c test now 46 ! (131 on dx, 69 feb 19) now they are "not sure" about the type1 DX ad offered pills to replace insulin injections.

What do people think? Personally I can't take pills (never really had to..... and am not at all bothered by injections.
Also been suggested Libre in the past should I follow up on this or wait till diagnosis confirmed?

Colin what have you done to reduce your A1c so dramatically? Have you significantly altered your diet? Apologies if I have missed swathes of your story.

Some T1s have lengthy honeymoon periods and some evn find their stutterig pancreases seem to improve a bit, with some support from insulin injections.

Have you had proper diagnostic tests to differentiate between types? When you say you can't take pills, does that mean you physically can't swallow them, or you simply find it to be an unpleasant experience?

Colin Crowhurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ok, the background. Minor car crash dec18 (zonked out at wheel) A&E trip bsl of 21+ , hospital stay of 1 week also heart monitor put in, type1 dx and placed onto novomix twice per day, started at 8u went up to 12u now dropped back to 10u. Went for update and first apt in Jan 19 and again zonked out, this time in Diabetes Clinic at Hospital, total panic everywhere they had me on an AED and another trip downstairs to A&E then HDU, heart monitor checked after four hours, more interesting looks from Dr's and Nurses, they then told me heart had stopped for 21 seconds (but NOT a heart attack!) so my wish to go home was thwarted.... Pacemaker fitted 2 days later, one week later Diabetes Clinic first visit finally completed, no problems with eyes etc and HbA1c down to 69 (from 131 on DX) Consultant felt I was a prime candidate for Libre (drive for a living so testing very frequently 8+ times per day)

Yes much change for diet , loads of carbs dropped (around 50%) and snacking changed to diabetes friendly types (Cheese, nuts etc) Feel much better and not too problematic loosing the sweet tooth I had! A bit more of a way to go , need to drop about 5-10 kg really but happy to sort that slowly.
Have never had to take pills before (soluble pain killers are my preferred choice) so never learnt how!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ok, the background. Minor car crash dec18 (zonked out at wheel) A&E trip bsl of 21+ , hospital stay of 1 week also heart monitor put in, type1 dx and placed onto novomix twice per day, started at 8u went up to 12u now dropped back to 10u. Went for update and first apt in Jan 19 and again zonked out, this time in Diabetes Clinic at Hospital, total panic everywhere they had me on an AED and another trip downstairs to A&E then HDU, heart monitor checked after four hours, more interesting looks from Dr's and Nurses, they then told me heart had stopped for 21 seconds (but NOT a heart attack!) so my wish to go home was thwarted.... Pacemaker fitted 2 days later, one week later Diabetes Clinic first visit finally completed, no problems with eyes etc and HbA1c down to 69 (from 131 on DX) Consultant felt I was a prime candidate for Libre (drive for a living so testing very frequently 8+ times per day)

Yes much change for diet , loads of carbs dropped (around 50%) and snacking changed to diabetes friendly types (Cheese, nuts etc) Feel much better and not too problematic loosing the sweet tooth I had! A bit more of a way to go , need to drop about 5-10 kg really but happy to sort that slowly.
Have never had to take pills before (soluble pain killers are my preferred choice) so never learnt how!

Certainly oral meds generally make dealing with the DVLA easier, so that could be something to consider for someone who drives for a living?

Nobody likes taking tablets, and like you I have never had to do anything more than the odd course of antibiotics, but in the last year I started on meds for my thyroid gland. I cuss every time I top up my weekly pill pot. I only take two little tablets each morning about 4am. It's only two because I'm on an unusual dose.

Needless to say, once I realised I needed this medication, I just got with the programme, and now don't even need to take water with them. I just rouse, take my dose and go back to sleep.

One of the reasons I use a pill pot is so that I can check if I've taken them. Sometimes I just don't wake enough to remember!

If it works for your health, wouldn't life be simpler without insulin?

Reactions: ringi