LCHF..16 weeks in

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Great thread this. very informative.

Reactions: 2 people

MsVelvet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you should be happy with how you are going. I am LCHF for a month now and feel fantastic. My levels have gradually been dropping since I started, with my highest fasting reading this week being 6.8.....5 days ago. In the afternoon my readings are in the 4.8 - 5.8 range. When I saw my doctor today she was really happy. I eat 2 eggs, ham and cheese for breakfast, usually for lunch I have veggies or salad with either butter or dressing, plus sometimes some nuts and for tea is some kind of meat, fish or chicken. For supper I have berries and cream. I drink lots of water and have one cup of coffee with cream each day. I don't add up calories or count grams of anything, just eat till I start feeling comfortably fell (my nose starts to run when I should stop eating and so I stop). If I overeat I become very uncomfortable so I have learnt to listen to my body. The best thing about LCHF is you don't crave slider foods (you know the things that go down easily, but are really bad for you) and after a month you start to feel really fantastic!

Will look forward to following your journey msmi1970!

Reactions: 4 people

mamamodge

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello all,
I am not diabetic I joined this group as I have an interest in diabetes and particually LCHF diets.

I have been following this way of eating, in an attempt to lose weight and generally feel healthier overall.
However I feel I must be doi

mamamodge

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Grrrr ..typing on mobile not good !! Lol...
I was trying to say I think I must be doing sonething wrong ..so far for the last month I have not dropped one pound in weight ..
A trypical days eating is
Egg and Bacon for breakfas

MsVelvet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When dieting you often don't eat enough or you eat too much. When I have stalled in the past I have changed my diet for a day or two and that kicks it off again.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was trying to say I think I must be doing sonething wrong ..so far for the last month I have not dropped one pound in weight ..

Hi mamma,

Do come back and finish what you were saying!

In the meantime, I should weigh again. In case (like me) your weight fluctuates daily.

And are you drinking enough? Water, not pop, even if it's sugar free?

I played with some online water calculators a while back. Decided that the general advice was to drink 1litre for every 5 stone of body weight (3st if your 15 stone). That's more water than most people drink, but it really helps!

Also, I was quite dismayed at how low carb I have to be to get the benefits.

There are pple here who feel great on 150 g carb a day.
Me? I only feel good on less than 30g, and feel even better on less than 20g

And the fat can take some getting used to.

It is a case of trial and error, I'm afraid.

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:eek::wideyed::woot:

Just opened a new pot of krill oil supplements.
One had leaked.

Oh dear.

There is a reason the oil is in capsule form. :eek:

I have had to wash my hands 3 times to get rid of the stench.

mamamodge

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Will not let me finis

mamamodge

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Goodness me ...I really need to get laptop fixed....as I was saying breakfast bacon eggs or sourcream and blueberries coffee with coconut oil and cream .Can't quite get my head around making it a true Bullet proof!
Lunch is mostly a salad with mayo of course or a good dollop of olive oil or leftovers.
Dinner is a meat dish with green veg ..eg kale or brocolli.
Snacks are a few nuts or a small peice of cheese ..love a good piece of strong cheddar!

I have gone through what I thought was 'the flu' lighthead shaky and generally feeling c..p and now feel great stomach calm no carb cravings so at a lost what to do next ..btw drink loads of water ...
I do have have an underlying hormonal problem linked to insulin resistance so was wondering if that was it.
Btw thanks for alk suggestions so far I will maybe retweak my diet and wait and see as I believe this is the way to go but for now might try a full bulletproof...wish me luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Goodness me ...I really need to get laptop fixed....as I was saying breakfast bacon eggs or sourcream and blueberries coffee with coconut oil and cream .Can't quite get my head around making it a true Bullet proof!
Lunch is mostly a salad with mayo of course or a good dollop of olive oil or leftovers.
Dinner is a meat dish with green veg ..eg kale or brocolli.
Snacks are a few nuts or a small peice of cheese ..love a good piece of strong cheddar!

I have gone through what I thought was 'the flu' lighthead shaky and generally feeling c..p and now feel great stomach calm no carb cravings so at a lost what to do next ..btw drink loads of water ...
I do have have an underlying hormonal problem linked to insulin resistance so was wondering if that was it.
Btw thanks for alk suggestions so far I will maybe retweak my diet and wait and see as I believe this is the way to go but for now might try a full bulletproof...wish me luck.
How much weight do you need to loose?

I have heard that dairy and particularly cream can, for some, stop weight loss. Butter is ok though. I have also heard that some need to up the fat to loose weight. You could try either or both.

Vitamin D deficiency can stop weight loss too.

Reactions: 4 people

mamamodge

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Weight to lose ....a lot ....I know I will never be the 54kgs I once was but at the moment being 97 kgs at 5'2 and a bit inches is so not good for my body .
I plan to work on dropping to at least a size 16 dress size . At first .I have jeans hanging in the wardrobe!!.

I will look into the research re Viamin D and weight loss.
Re the comment about cream ..when I first started this way of eating I mistakingly thought you could any amount of ccream but after a few days my body told me otherwise so now I limit it to three tablespoons a day weather its sour or double cream .

When you say up my fats ..how do I do that I already eat fat from meat and cook with butter add butter to hot vegs and take coconut oil.

I have also reduced my portion size of meat to reduce protein .

In case I am doing it wrong what do people class as a portion ?

Last edited by a moderator:

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
For the DAILY intake aim at 1 gram of protein per kilo target weight, twice as much fat in grams and as little carbs you can manage. 100 grma of meat is app 20 gram protein. Choose fatty meat, egg, avocado, butter, double cream, full fat mayonnaise. Try to skip the nuts, it can stall weight lost. Eat enough at your meals and enough fat, this will stop the snacking.
You really should try bullet coffee with butter and coconut oil, the secret is to let the coconut oil and butter melt a little before mixing it well, it will look like a cafe latte.
I'm a bit hard core (< 10 gram carbs per day) but my once a day meal can consist of 2 home made burgers (app raw weight 200-220 gram) some melted butter and 100 -150 gram (weight before cooking) butter fried spinach or 80 gram kimchi. With more carbs the veg portion cna be increased.
Try my posted recipes for sauces or try to add spiced butter to your meal.

Reactions: 6 people

mamamodge

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For the DAILY intake aim at 1 gram of protein per kilo target weight, twice as much fat in grams and as little carbs you can manage. 100 grma of meat is app 20 gram protein. Choose fatty meat, egg, avocado, butter, double cream, full fat mayonnaise. Try to skip the nuts, it can stall weight lost. Eat enough at your meals and enough fat, this will stop the snacking.
You really should try bullet coffee with butter and coconut oil, the secret is to let the coconut oil and butter melt a little before mixing it well, it will look like a cafe latte.
I'm a bit hard core (< 10 gram carbs per day) but my once a day meal can consist of 2 home made burgers (app raw weight 200-220 gram) some melted butter and 100 -150 gram (weight before cooking) butter fried spinach or 80 gram kimchi. With more carbs the veg portion cna be increased.
Try my posted recipes for sauces or try to add spiced butter to your meal.
Hi Modesty thank you so much for your reply ..
I actually tried bullet proof coffee this morning and was pleasently surprised how good it tasted.
BTW what is kimchi?
Regards

Reactions: 3 people

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Kimchi is Korean fermented cabbage, buying mine in an Asian store also sometimes have kkakdugi, fermented daikon/muli. Fermented food including sauerkraut is good for the gut flora and usually called pre-biotics.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@modesty007

What oil do you use for your mayonnaise?
I find olive oil rather pungent, and I haven't been making any for a while (always used sunflower, but don't want to use that any more)

Any suggestions?

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
@modesty007

What oil do you use for your mayonnaise?
I find olive oil rather pungent, and I haven't been making any for a while (always used sunflower, but don't want to use that any more)

Any suggestions?
I'm a bit lazy and usually use ready made with rape seed oil, yes I know the omega 6 ratio, either it says on the package and with Hellman's I actually asked them and the confirmed they use rape seed. I've seen some using coconut oil (without taste) or ghee, both would go solid in the fridge,
Not a big consumer of mayonnaise.

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you should be happy with how you are going. I am LCHF for a month now and feel fantastic. My levels have gradually been dropping since I started, with my highest fasting reading this week being 6.8.....5 days ago. In the afternoon my readings are in the 4.8 - 5.8 range. When I saw my doctor today she was really happy. I eat 2 eggs, ham and cheese for breakfast, usually for lunch I have veggies or salad with either butter or dressing, plus sometimes some nuts and for tea is some kind of meat, fish or chicken. For supper I have berries and cream. I drink lots of water and have one cup of coffee with cream each day. I don't add up calories or count grams of anything, just eat till I start feeling comfortably fell (my nose starts to run when I should stop eating and so I stop). If I overeat I become very uncomfortable so I have learnt to listen to my body. The best thing about LCHF is you don't crave slider foods (you know the things that go down easily, but are really bad for you) and after a month you start to feel really fantastic!

Will look forward to following your journey msmi1970!

pesky internet has been on the fritz last couple of days. felt lost without access to this site. :)

wow. your afternoon readings are fantastic. hope i can get close to that soon!!

you are absolutely right about losing cravings. infact, apart from the good sugar control, that is the facet i value most about LCHF. All the "diets" i have tried over the last 25 years, had me craving massively at some point and eventually i would cave in. :( LCHF has been terrific in that so far i have not had any overwhelming urges at all. Glad that its also working for you!!

Reactions: 7 people

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:eek::wideyed::woot:

Just opened a new pot of krill oil supplements.
One had leaked.

Oh dear.

There is a reason the oil is in capsule form. :eek:

I have had to wash my hands 3 times to get rid of the stench.

oh dear. :wideyed: sorry to hear that. read online that is not quite an uncommon occurrence. i was told by this guy who dabbles in supplements and herbs that long term consumption of krill oil would improve lipid profile. have been on it for about 2 months and to be honest it has been a yo-yo experience. but i will persevere (largely because i bought 6 months supply of the stuff :)). will post if there is significant improvement.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
pesky internet has been on the fritz last couple of days. felt lost without access to this site. :)

wow. your afternoon readings are fantastic. hope i can get close to that soon!!

you are absolutely right about losing cravings. infact, apart from the good sugar control, that is the facet i value most about LCHF. All the "diets" i have tried over the last 25 years, had me craving massively at some point and eventually i would cave in. :( LCHF has been terrific in that so far i have not had any overwhelming urges at all. Glad that its also working for you!!

Snap!

I find it amazing to think that I lived with carb cravings all the time.
I thought that level of background misery was normal.

Nowadays, the moment I feel them coming on (the last time was 2 hours after eating 5 mini cheddars :facepalm:) I know what to do:
Creamy coffee
Fat bombs
A teasp of coconut oil
A full fried breakfast, minus carbs
Steak and salad with mayo
Or similar

And the cravings just fade away...

Just that fact alone makes this way of eating worth it.

Reactions: 6 people