1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

LCHF and high cholesterol

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by mouseee, Apr 21, 2022.

1. mouseee

mouseee · Well-Known Member

Well..... back again with unsurprising news with hba1c.

This time was 73. Went from 101, to 48, 36,47 but that was probably a year ago. So a very good start.
    Now, however, the nurse has told me that my cholesterol is high. 6.1 and she is sending me the other numbers but basically wants me to start on statins.

So the question for the today is... how do I eat LCHF at the same time as eating to lower cholesterol. All advice on a quick search says low fat. So I am confused!

I know this has been discussed many times but wanted any help or advice you lot have for me!

So far, in the last 2 weeks have lost half a stone, dropped carbs again and my average bg seems to have dropped a couple of points already. (This is super approximate but it is going the right way!)
    I have 3 months to get the weight off (1.5 - 2 stone) and to get my hba1c down or we need to think about medication changes.

Any useful info welcome!!

2. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

For me, my total cholesterol went right down with my BG, and all lipids improved. I lowered carbs and upped the fats.
    So I don't know what caused my higher cholesterol, but it definitely wasn't fats in my diet.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook