LCHF diet and new blood test results

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
please take a few hours to go through the video's you are going to have 2 leading professors explain it all to you.
perfect for me would be to have your trigs at <1

Thanks. I think I better. I don't even know what trigs are. :(

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I do overdose on cheese because it is calorific and I need the calories. My lipids are perfect (recent test even improved).

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
SJC, these are the target cholesterol levels that they want people with diabetes in the UK to aim for:

• Your total cholesterol level should be below 4.0mmol/l.
  • LDL levels should be less than 2.0mmol/l.
  • HDL levels should be 1.0mmol/l or above in men and 1.2mmol/l or above in women.
  • Triglyceride levels should be 1.7mmol/l or less.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I do overdose on cheese because it is calorific and I need the calories. My lipids are perfect (recent test even improved).
I also eat cheese like it's going out of fashion ... Love it .. And like you my levels are all brilliant now

Reactions: 2 people

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
It wasn't a fasting test so I wonder if that makes a difference.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
LOL...it has the be a fasting test, you would have had dietary trigs hdl and ldl

but I have a low cholesterol, but your lipids are better than mine, I'd swap you
chol 3.2_Trig1.5/ Hld 1.2/ Ldl 1.3

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Depends on whether you are using Jacks personal guidelines, or the NHS then?

For the record, I use the NHS guidelines, and like Jack I take statins to lower my cholesterol. (?)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Only as far as triglycerides are concerned, but doctors sometimes want to see a fasting and a non-fasting, not necessarily as part of the same review though. My own practice has stopped all the fasting tests unless testing glucose on non-diabetics..

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
SJC, these are the target cholesterol levels that they want people with diabetes in the UK to aim for:

• Your total cholesterol level should be below 4.0mmol/l.
  • LDL levels should be less than 2.0mmol/l.
  • HDL levels should be 1.0mmol/l or above in men and 1.2mmol/l or above in women.
  • Triglyceride levels should be 1.7mmol/l or less.

Hi. I don't know what my trigs are from those results - do I? I am only having around 70 gms of carb a day . I have to eat a lot of fat as weight is dropping off me. My doc is concerned about that as is my dietician. I eat meat, fish or cheese every day to a point. I don't know now how to balance things so my cholesterol goes down. Will need to speak to doc and dietician methinks.

I will say though that I have been in the 5's for overall cholesterol result for the last ten years or more.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I don't know what my trigs are from those results - do I? I am only having around 70 gms of carb a day . I have to eat a lot of fat as weight is dropping off me. My doc is concerned about that as is my dietician. I eat meat, fish or cheese every day to a point. I don't know now how to balance things so my cholesterol goes down. Will need to speak to doc and dietician methinks.

are you eating oily fish? Salmon, fresh tuna etc. Tinned salmon is good, tinned tuna not so.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

I will say though that I have been in the 5's for overall cholesterol result for the last ten years or more.

I can't comment as I don't follow a LCHF diet, best to speak with your HCP's if you have concerns about your cholesterol.

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
are you eating oily fish? Salmon, fresh tuna etc. Tinned salmon is good, tinned tuna not so.

Yes, at least twice a week as a main meal, or lunch with salad, sometimes more. Hate tuna but have salmon and mackerel.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Given that your Dr has given you more fat to eat, your Dr isn't old school fool

I don't know why doug misrepresents what I say? these are the triglyceride guidelines of a teaching professor and head of a major bloods testing lab

Last edited by a moderator:

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why is the tinned Tuna not so good Bluetit?

It comes in all sorts of mediums, from spring water, sunflower oil, brine & Alabore tune in extra virgin olive oil and I think there is a few more now.

Neil

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, at least twice a week as a main meal, or lunch with salad, sometimes more. Hate tuna but have salmon and mackerel.

I have 4 of those small tins of red salmon a week, plus other sorts of fish (cod normally) a couple of times. I believe this helps my cholesterol.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But what is perfect? I keep reading online that cholesterol isn't connected to heart attacks etc. I read yesterday that 75% of people who have heart attacks have 'normal' cholesterol levels.
This is just my own opinion. I agree with all you have said here. Personally I think 'they' like cholesterol levels to be too low. I would not take statins with readings like yours. I realise you have had other health issues which you may like to consider too, but cholesterol that is too low is worse than when it is too high.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why is the tinned Tuna not so good Bluetit?

It comes in all sorts of mediums, from spring water, sunflower oil, brine & Alabore tune in extra virgin olive oil and I think there is a few more now.

Neil

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/fish-shellfish.aspx#oily

Which fish are oily fish?
These fish are all oily fish, and so are good sources of long-chain omega-3:
  • anchovies
  • carp
  • herring (bloater, kipper and hilsa are types of herring)
  • jack (also known as scad, horse mackerel and trevally)
  • mackerel
  • pilchards
  • salmon
  • sardines
  • sprats
  • trout
  • tuna (fresh)
  • whitebait
Canned tuna does not count as oily fish. Fresh tuna is an oily fish, but when it is canned the amount of long-chain omega-3 fatty acids is reduced to levels similar to those in other fish.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a vegetarian, so don't eat any fish or fish products .. Don't eat meat either or any thing that is from a dead animal .. But I do eat lots of cheese and I have my own hens so eat eggs. Olive oil and coconut oil are also part of my diet

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
I have 4 of those small tins of red salmon a week, plus other sorts of fish (cod normally) a couple of times. I believe this helps my cholesterol.

But then as Zand says, I am increasingly reading that low cholesterol can actually be worse for you than high cholesterol.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Given that your Dr has given you more fat to eat, your Dr isn't old school fool

I don't know why doug misrepresents what I say? these are the triglyceride guidelines of a teaching professor and head of a major bloods testing lab

You've chosen your levels,you haven't stated they are your own personal choice, whereas I have linked to the correct NHS guidelines.
You take statins, to keep your levels artificially low, but then advise others they should be higher.

I've just stated facts, not my own opinions, unlike you.

The op can decide who is mis representing the data.