LCHF intermittent fasting for low weight diabetics type 2

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football, Icy weather, Getting old.
I did not lose a huge amount of weight on LCHF. At first it was more a case of noticing slight changes in my bodyshape. I already had a waist but this became more defined and tops were no longer a little tight around the shoulders etc My problem has been maintaining. I continued to lose a pound or two for weeks so I raised my fat intake again and again. Still, I continued to either lose a couple of pounds or there was no change and then for a few weeks there would be times I gained a little weight but would lose it again. I am at the point now where I am trying to raise the protein levels in my diet.
As you know protein provokes a much gentler insulin response and for two weeks I have not lost anything but I have got to the point that I do not want to weigh myself at all. It is too stressful.

I was 'threatened' with insulin on diagnosis a year ago but have managed to lower my A1c and my bg levels are smashing (except for FBGs which are horrible). I am still on Metformin and would rather it stay that way by managing the Diabetes with diet, however, if I carry on with LCHF I may have to think again on the medication front.

We are all different. I have never experienced a weight problem before and I do not think I am coping well with it.
Have you tried jncreasing the length of fasting? According to the book this sometimes works. I'm going to start with lchf before fasting. I don't eat a massive amount if carbs but I think they have ctept up over the years.

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm the same height as you, but 48kg, so I'm one slight old girl.

I reversed my diabetes, without fasting any more than ovenight, although I don't snack, so my overnight can be quite long in reality. I'm not suggesting your idea is daft, just pointing out it's not necessarily necessary.

If you give it a go and find your losing weight you don't want to, then tweak your fats up a bit to keep the weight stable, between fasts.
I will start with lchf diet then move on to shorter fasting at first ie 16 hours then if necessary increase. That is my plan at any rate. Will need to come of linagliptin in order to fast as it can cause a hypo.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Have you tried jncreasing the length of fasting? According to the book this sometimes works. I'm going to start with lchf before fasting. I don't eat a massive amount if carbs but I think they have ctept up over the years.

I would love to try fasting but I am on drugs (not related to Diabetes) which are food dependant.

I must say here that it has not been all doom and gloom. LCHF has kept me off medications other than Metformin and even the dosage of this has been lowered, I have seen improvement in mobility and pain levels especially after throwing out all the seed oils.

I have come to the conclusion that for me maintaining weight is far, far harder than losing it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. It's my lipid levels that i'm hoping to improve. I'll actually be pleased if I don't lose too much weight as long as my lipids and glucose levels improve enough to reduce or stop meds.

A good way of improving lipid levels is to cut the carbs (carbs deplete the good cholesterol) and increase consumption of any omega 3 foods such as salmon, oily fish and flaxseed at the same time cutting down on as many omega 6 foods as you can, mainly vegetable oils. Cook with olive oil or cold pressed rapeseed oil, or any of the solid animal fats such as lard, butter, goose/duck fat. Avoid rubbish like sunflower oil or corn oil - check ingredients on all packaged foods.

Reactions: onnecar

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will start with lchf diet then move on to shorter fasting at first ie 16 hours then if necessary increase. That is my plan at any rate. Will need to come of linagliptin in order to fast as it can cause a hypo.

Make sure you're testing plenty.

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I would love to try fasting but I am on drugs (not related to Diabetes) which are food dependant.

I must say here that it has not been all doom and gloom. LCHF has kept me off medications other than Metformin and even the dosage of this has been lowered, I have seen improvement in mobility and pain levels especially after throwing out all the seed oils.

I have come to the conclusion that for me maintaining weight is far, far harder than losing it.
Being on meds does make it more complicated. That is my concern. I am on orther meds too but I don't think they need to be taken with food. If I fast I'll need to hold the metformin on those days. May have to play it by ear. I feel like I'm in a vicious circle. If anyone has experience of self-management of reducing meds that could also be helpful.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
With regard to lipid values please be aware that with changes to weight and diet etc lipid values may be skewed temporarily but eventually return to base. It is also good to remember that lowering Omega 6s (highly inflammatory) is easier and cheaper than trying to raise Omega 3s to gain the right ratio.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin is a mild drug that doesn't help a great deal. It helps a little bit with morning fasting levels as it reduces the amount of glucose the liver can dump (dawn phenomenon) and a little bit with insulin resistance, but not a lot else. It also accumulates in the body, so missing the odd ones here and there on fasting days won't make any difference.

Julie27318

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Worked for my 8 stone loss.
Well done u!!! what do u do though when u intermittent fast.What's it mean? I'd be satisfied if i managed to lose 8 stone i'd be 12 stone then.....stl big for a 5'1" woman but better than 20 stones!!!!

Reactions: onnecar

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done u!!! what do u do though when u intermittent fast.What's it mean? I'd be satisfied if i managed to lose 8 stone i'd be 12 stone then.....stl big for a 5'1" woman but better than 20 stones!!!!
Ok my day.. Get up have a tea with lactofree milk (lower carb than regular milk).. have another tea about 30 minutes later.
Coffee with double cream at 11 ish sometimes 2.
Never eat before 1 pm sometimes skip lunch altogether.
Usually have dinner about 7-7.30 ultra low carb always less than 20g per day including the milk cream any veg etc.
Don't count calories aim for high fat food to keep feeling full.
That's what I did for the first year when I lost most of the weight.
I have since done a few extended fasts (up to 7 days) with nothing solid taken in.

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
With regard to lipid values please be aware that with changes to weight and diet etc lipid values may be skewed temporarily but eventually return to base. It is also good to remember that lowering Omega 6s (highly inflammatory) is easier and cheaper than trying to raise Omega 3s to gain the right ratio.
Does HFLC intermittent fasting make you lose weight? if so how bcos i need lose about 13 stones and my Throid is struggling and i'm pig sick!!!

Fasting is the only option left for me regarding lipids and since lipids are an indication of fatty liver/insulin resistance then i havd to try it one way or another. Can you ask your team if there is any way that you can fast? There are some clinics that monitor fasting. Are you in the UK?

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Does HFLC intermittent fasting make you lose weight? if so how bcos i need lose about 13 stones and my Throid is struggling and i'm pig sick!!!

It's explained really well in Kevin Fungs book on intermittent fasting. You can get it on amazon. There is also a similar one by Michael Mosley.

Reactions: Julie27318

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Metformin is a mild drug that doesn't help a great deal. It helps a little bit with morning fasting levels as it reduces the amount of glucose the liver can dump (dawn phenomenon) and a little bit with insulin resistance, but not a lot else. It also accumulates in the body, so missing the odd ones here and there on fasting days won't make any difference.
I've had quite good results with it up to a point but seemed to have to keep on increasing it. I'm now on the top dose of the slow release form. Glucose levels can actually rise at times on a fasting diet and this could be exacerbated by met withdrawal which is a bit of a concern. I won't let that stop me though. The reason fir taking met was because after many years on just diet control my glucose levels shot into double figures. There is no way I'm ending up on insulin if I can help it. What you've said makes me feel a bit more confident though. Maybe lchf will be enough to get off met and make it easier.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fasting is the only option left for me regarding lipids and since lipids are an indication of fatty liver/insulin resistance then i havd to try it one way or another. Can you ask your team if there is any way that you can fast? There are some clinics that monitor fasting. Are you in the UK?

I am in the UK. Type 2 Diabetes was my fourth diagnosis of what could be described as life changing conditions. I am monitored by three different consultants (sometimes giving conflicting advice). I have had to wade through all the information and find compromise. Above all, I have to say that LCHF has not caused me any harm. Once I sort out how to stop the weight loss I shall be a happier bunny. I continue to tinker with diet and meds and hopefully will soon find a 'sweet spot'.

As an aside, my cholesterol TC saw a rise soon after starting my dietary changes, however, with the help of members here, I learned how to interpret the results of the lipid panels and mine are just great. I caved in at the GPs insistence on taking a statin, that lasted all of one week. By day 5 I was having the now notorious side effect of muscular pain. I stopped taking it and now enjoy a high healthy sat fat diet with added coconut oil and occasional olive oil.