Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi
I just completed the Newcadtle diet and was very successful.
Plan was to switch to LCHF diet.
Now been approx 3 weeks and I’ve put on 10lbs and my fasting BG now 10.8 (was sub 6)

I am clearly doing something wrong

Are there any figures to aim for regarding how much fat, protein, etc one should consume per day
Or do you eat as much fat as you want and just keep the carbs low?

How do you do a LCHF diet and maintain weight I.e. Not put weight on and not lose weight either?
Just remember your body has been starved for 8 weeks so now you feeding it its storing and dumping as normal (like for none diabetics). Remind me are you still taking metformin?
My body on lchf added weight. I wasn't eating 80% fat but I wasn't comfortable eating butter, cheese, double cream and bacon rind or chicken skin. My calories were more like 4000cals and I tried 1800cals but no difference. I added. Although I was on insulin. My bgs were good because of insulin injections but no.... still added.
I need no excess calories and low carb to lose weight. Maybe you need the correct cals for your height but not high carb?
I guess this makes you decide to in the future after a ND again not to lchf?
If I was to do ND I would have to slowly increase my srarvation gradularly to nearly normal eating then about a yrs time do ND again. I found my attempt of a ND only suspended my diabetes , not cure it.

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hi @Muzzer.

Sorry to hear this. Must be a bit of a kick in the teeth after all you hard work with the ND. :(

Can i ask how you transitioned from ND to LCHF?

From what ppl have said on the forum, i understand that Prof. Taylor is now suggesting that ppl make a slow incremental transition, rather than just switching. Maybe you did this?

I'm going to tag in @Chook because she is in the process of coming off the ND and will know much more about it than I.

Thanks for the tag @Brunneria

Hi @Muzzer - my way of finishing my real foods version of the ND is to do the stepped transition as recommended in the current ND protocol document http://www.directclinicaltrial.org.uk/protocol/DiRECTProtocol.pdf There is also suggestion on that document (page 5 right hand column) about what to do if there is weight regain.

So, basically, for me I'm having a week on 1000 calories then a week on 1100 calories then 1200 calories, etc, - until I get to a point where I'm both happy and stable - but for me that all needs to be low carb rather than the recommended eatwell suggestion.

I know I couldn't have eaten your meal with both carrots and sweetcorn - both of them would trigger a massive rise in my BG - they are on my 'medium' carbs list - so I might, for instance, have a spoonful of one or the other in a meal that is mainly protein and fat. There are other vegetables that I eat freely of - leafy green veg - but anything that I think has a sweet taste or is below ground I treat with caution.

I hope this helps.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
This protocol for the current experiment states that the 800 calorie part should last from 12 to 20 weeks, depending on their weight loss needs and success.

Sorry, I've not read it all either. I'm happy with my HbA1C (see my signature), I'm wanting to lose weight quickly to take some of the pressure off of my arthritic knees, hips and spine. And, of course, if I manage to get to a point when my T2 is in remission and I can eat the occasional carbiferous treat I will be a happy bunny - but I'm not expecting that to happen.

Reactions: No2D

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have done alot of research on diet over the past 7 years, and am an ex vegan and my personal opinion is that meat is not really a thing to be eaten everyday or alot at all really, or cows dairy, sorry I know that wont be a popular opinion. I eat goats dairy and I eat fish but keep the rest plant based now. There is something in cows milk that is not favourable at all I cannot remember its name at the mo and todays meat industry is a massive disgrace :(

Check out Dr Axe for the goat dairy v cows

These changes may improve your health , you never know , I eat tinned mackerel in salads and haddock or another white fish with a couple dinners a week. I eat tofu a couple days too as its low crab and protein source