LCHF - sprouted whole grains for bread making.

SugarPossum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last HbA1c 6.3%, (6.1, 6.8 last year), next test end July.
Doc says get rid of the tummy but no other advice.
So I'm coming to terms with the LCHF diet and settling in to new recipes.

However. Flours.
So far my attempts at LCHF bread have not come up with a reasonable alternative to a lifelong's love of home made wheat based breads.
OK, so I'm only into my third trial recipe, non of which suits my tastes, though the lady I am a carer for likes the Low Carb Soft Loaf.
I find most of the flours, almond, coconut, etc., impart a definite flavour which I could get used but the texture and finished 'hold' does not compare with a good whole wheat loaf.

Question then. I read sprouted whole grains are used in commercial LC bread but AFAIK there is no definition for these, could be wheat, rice, rye, et. al.
Has anyone used these to make bread?

lizf4619

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have used a combination of spelt and rye along with a vast quantity of various forms of linseed, chai caraway etc. similar to those in Burgen bread. You need to read the details ont he flour as the basic quantities for yeast, liquid etc varies. I'm contemplating trying a sour dough version - should be interesting

SugarPossum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm. Both spelt (I like Spelt) and rye are 70% + carbs. Sort of knocks a hole in the LC bit?
However you speak of vast quantity of seeds.
Any clues as to just how much?
Even a recipe to try? ;)

satkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm also after that elusive low carb bread that is actually like bread. So far no success. When you say low carb what's your limit of carbs per slice? Personally I'm going for anything around the 6 to 8 grams. I would like to have 2 pieces with breakfast and between 15 and 20 grams seems to give me a spike. Anything less and it's not as bad (only around a +1 to 1.5 mmol).

SugarPossum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Working on it, satkins :)
I'll try and keep this thread updated.

Tonight another shot at onion bhajis, 50% tapioca, 50% almond.
Last week with flax flour, not good, edible but rubbery. :(

lizf4619

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is the original recipe but I changed it to use half spelt & rye, doubled the seeds and no egg just water. Check your flour though for the amount of water you will need. I use Doves Farm flour.
1 egg
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
1⁄3 cup ground flax seeds
1⁄4 cup soy flour
3⁄4 cup vital wheat gluten flour
1 teaspoon dried yeast
  1. Using a 1 pound capacity bread machine, combine ingredients according to order given in bread machine manual.
  2. Select 'light' browning setting.
  3. Don't remove bread until it is cooled.
  4. Cut into slices, and store, covered, in the refrigerator.

SugarPossum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I googled vital wheat gluten flour
and it seems about 20% carbs.
Derived from Delane's post on lowcarbfriends.com, I think?
That post makes it clear it has to be the right variety of flour or it may be a disaster.

Onion bhajis, 50% tapioca, 50% almond, last night.
OK and easily edible but either one or both of the flours sap the flavour of the spices except for the chile flakes.
And maybe just a tad too much water.
Try again next week. (Sat night special ;) )

lizf4619

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just been in Sainsburys, they had flour from a company called Rude Health which had sprouted rye, and buckwheat flour £5 per box.