Doriand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Political Correctness
Hi Guys,
Does anyone else have problems with family members when doing LCHF? My partner is a hardcore Weight Watcher follower and yes, she is skinny due to eating very little and counting points etc. I have a few pounds to lose and eating fat and low carbs suits me and my T2 Diabetes just fine. We went to a smorgasbord all-you-can-eat restaurant a few days ago and I got stuck into roast meats and salads/vegs until I could not eat anymore, and my bgl after a few hours was 6.3mmol/l. I weighed myself the next day and still lost weight from the previous week. Even with all this proof that LCHF works (well it works for me) she's still stuck with that mindset of saturated fats are bad and gotta count those calories to stay thin. I will stick with the LCHF diet as I'm never hungry, unlike other diets I have tried. How can I convince, or at least get my wife to accept the LCHF lifestyle?

Reactions: RAPS_od and zand
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why is it important for her to do as you do? Each to his/her own. If she is counting calories and is thin as a result I can't think of any reason why she should be convinced to accept the LCHF lifestyle unless it's her trying to convince you to change.

Last edited:

Doriand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Political Correctness
Why is it important for her to do as you do? Each to his/her own. If she is counting calories and is thin as a result I can't think of any reason why she should be convinced to accept the LCHF lifestyle unless it's her trying to convince you to change.
She cooks dinner for all and that's where the fun starts!:blackeye:

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
well the only solution ~ is get your partner to accept your way of eating is keeping you healthy and to respect that ... or pack her bag .. Why should you eat a weight watchers diet that is in (my opinion) very unhealthy just to please her. I did the calorie counting diet years ago .. it was stupid .. and as soon as I stopped the weight came back faster than it went.. at least with LCHF the weight stays off, as its a way of eating ~ not a diet that leaves you hungry all the time.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Slather butter on your veg and leave the carbs. Think its called compromise really.

Reactions: Energize

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am lucky in that I managed to hit my family so hard over Xmas that by the time they realised they had been hijacked it was too late. I downloaded the Xmas 2015 LCHF cookbook, and bought the ingredients, and my wife cooked the repast. And they found they enjoyed it. We still use the same recipes today, and many of the LC alternatives are favourites even by the carbophiles in the house.

I am not limiting them to be LC, and they have normal potatoes, where I have either sweet pot or a Lidl roll instead. They get cakes and chocolate they like, and I get my 85% choc which they won't touch. So apart from my hypo kit which does disappear mysteriously when i'm asleep, we manage to integrate and usually eat roughly the same meal.

I had problems with HF portion of the diet and had to research the published studies quite dilligently, but I am slowly winning that battle too. Unfortunately, bulletproof coffee is liked by all, so a pot of double cream lasts less han a day in our house.!!! I do try to make it clear that a high carb diet does not benefit from HF but to a deprived carboholic the allure of high fat cannot be resisted. This may be why you are getting such resistance. It may be a subconcious feeling that willpower is unable to resist such goodies if they are in the house. May I suggest you invest in a padlock for the fridge?

The proof of the pudding is..... Until you try it and get good lipid results, then there will always be resistance. I got my latest results back this week, and my doctor is very, very happy with them. My lipids have all improved, my weight is stable, and my bgl is great now. I have reduced or stopped several of my meds and my doc said it is clear I do not need any statins, so she did not bang that drum.

I myself had major reservations about LCHF and posted so on this forum, I started a thread on What is the HF in LCHF? which was well discussed and has some very good links to LCHF studies that you may find useful for reference.

Good luck, and so long as you can show that it works for you, then persevere. You can point out that even for diabetics, what works for me may not work for you, and the same is very true in the HCLF vs LCHF arena.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's hard having a houseful of people with different diets. I'm thinking there are plenty of healthy fats you can add to your meals easily. Like avocado chunks, nuts or nut butters as celery, olive oil, butter. She can cook the proteins and veggies and you can dress them up with some fats or a have a side of avocado, cheese etc.

Or is the problem that's she wants you to eat like her? That won't work and I'm she she knows your health depends on it. You just need to add fats to your meals Andrea leave the carbs. She may choose to eat the carbs and leave the fats. ( I'd be starving haha)

I do want to add as the cook in our house, it is difficult to make meals that please everyone's diet nad it can get frustrating. Fortunately for me my type one didn't show up until after my kids were grown and gone. I cook the protein and veggies and if they want carbs they can get their own unless of course they're visiting. Then I will cook them. My hubby is good about making husband own HUGE salad.
My kids? Well one wants rice, one wants white mashed potato and one wants roasted sweet potato. Forget it....

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am very lucky in my partner. He was very resistant to LC to start with (we have been together 10 yrs now) and in the beginning was all CALORIES CALORIES CALORIES and LOW Fat. With him wanting to lose the same couple of stone over and over again.

But then I managed to shamelessly manipulate him into a low carb Challenge, and he has never disagreed with low carbing since. He was amazed that you can lose weight without hunger, and that convinced him.

Mind you, he is still wanting to lose the same 2 stone over and over again, and he still loves carbs, but when he wants to drop weight, he goes VLC and the weight falls off him.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I'm working on my husband. He's been T2 for 16 years and swallowed the official diktat of high carb, low fat hook, line and sinker (and he ADORES carbs!). He's on Metformin, Glicazide and statins, and is dreading seeing his doctor after his next Hba1c as insulin may be suggested, which would be the death knell for his job (he works offshore). So, he decided to give LCHF a try with me.

He misses carbs terribly but he was delighted that he was getting better BS readings. However, his desire for carbs has not abated. He was quite joyful when he found low-carb noodles in Sainsbury's (made from konjac and tapioca flour). They weren't bad, actually. I didn't get a spike with them, but he did.

He's going offshore on Sunday for a month and will try to stick to LCHF as much as the canteen diet will allow. Me? While he's away, I shall carry on with LCHF and eat a lot more of things he's not so keen on.

Reactions: Doriand

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I am very lucky in my partner. He was very resistant to LC to start with (we have been together 10 yrs now) and in the beginning was all CALORIES CALORIES CALORIES and LOW Fat. With him wanting to lose the same couple of stone over and over again.

But then I managed to shamelessly manipulate him into a low carb Challenge, and he has never disagreed with low carbing since. He was amazed that you can lose weight without hunger, and that convinced him.
ind you, he is still wanting to lose the same 2 stone over and over again, and he still loves carbs, but when he wants to drop weight, he goes VLC and the weight falls off him.
Don't you just hate men and their ability to say I am going to lose weight and it rolls of em. ;)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't you just hate men and their ability to say I am going to lose weight and it rolls of em. ;)

They are a totally different species - different hormones, different muscle mass... different ball game ;)

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I live with 4 other adults, 3 grandkids and an odd assortment of fur babies. I am LCHF, One of my sons is doing it with me for weight loss (he has a bet at work), My hubby is pre-diabetic and in denial, my other son couldn't care less, DIL is not low carb or overweight but is open to the fact that it works for me and her partner (my son). Kids are sugar hounds being kids. When I cook, meals are low carb and a lot of experimenting goes on, sometimes its good and other times..... well not all recipes are keepers lol. When DIL cooks she makes sure the meals are such that us low carbers are accommodated. It is possible to keep everyone happy, it just takes some compromise. It also is not hurting anyone to be eating a lot more veggies and a lot less starch.

Reactions: Doriand

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My DIL is the leader of a 'fitness' group and, supposedly, trained in nutrition. No matter that she's ruined one of her knees she advocates running 5 miles a day and living on a diet of smoothies which add up to 800cals a day, i call her stupid but thin (in my mind of course) and continue my LCHF which suits me.
Sadly LCHF doesn't seem to knock the fat off females as quickly as it does males, as we know, I am stuck on a plateau with only about 10lbs to lose, but its your blood sugar count which counts - not how slim you look. So be a man, don;t eat the carbs on your plate (willpower needed here) leave the spuds and delicious pastry, say you're having cheese without the biscuits for pudding instead of that yummy rice. Buy yourself some pork scratchings from the garage next time you full up and keep them in the car for snacking etc
Edit - just read that and realised how school-marmish it sounds, sorry for that. I suppose you might try asking your OH to leave the carbs off your plate and adding more green ?vegs but sadly think thats impossible to re educate someone who refuses to even look at our philosophy. Would she read anything you printed off the internet from, say, dietdoctor.com or lowcarbdiabetic.co.uk?

Last edited:

pelirocco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I started weight watchers before being diagnosed T2 , and I am still carrying on with it , in so much as I use the AP to calculate the points I use , just as a guideline really
Since starting metformin I have lost my appetite so when or if it comes back because I have weight to lose I will still control what i eat
I am translating LCHF as low calorie , HIGHER fat , and will carry on unless my BS levels change for the worse . At the moment I am seeing a rapid weight lose

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Well done pelirocco with the weight loss. LCHF means Low Carb High Fat :)