LCHF vs ATKINS

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Apparently it really DOES matter what type of calories they are. To put it simply, calories are from the three macronutrients - fat, carbs, protein. Fat gets used for energy pronto (the idea being it is really hard to eat excess fat - it's way too filling, and our constitutions have evolved to deal with fat as the primary energy provider). Protein - too much of it after we use the protein we need to rebuild and maintain the bod - gets turned into glucose and stored as body fat. And carbs - our darling carbs - the ol' glucose machinations we all know and don't love - in excess, gets stored as body fat, for use when there is no food around. For energy we have two 'fuel systems' - fat burning, and glucose burning, and our bodies can switch reasonably easy between the two, depending on the availability of quick-energy food - carbs.

But don't believe Taubes et al, or me, try it and see! (Hey, as T2Ds we already have tried the excess carbs part! Even if only 'fat on the inside thin on the outside' types. Not me btw - I easily ran to fat around my middle like every T2 I know...) (Yep - that dangerous belly fat for CVDs and... yes... T2D!)

Do you REALLY believe you just ate too much @SunnyExpat? ? That is why you got T2D? Why do you think you ate 'too much'? A hunger-hormone disorder? Thyroid problem? Some weird psychological problem that spurred you on to over-consume calories? Is this some unique issue humans have? (And no other animal unless we are feeding them... wait for it... excess carbs!)?

Mod edit to remove reference to religion which isn't relevant to the thread discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I see what you mean. My LCHF diet book just arrived from Amazon so very Looking forward it and hope so much it does help me slim down
Please read my signature. LCHF has reduced my girth and jelly belly, but I have managed to maintain a weight I am comfortable with and which gives me a reasonable BMI.

My bgl is amazing now. Never since I was diagnosed have i had such stable readings in the right place.

EDIT to apologise. My signature has lost the last section, that showed I dropped my waist from 38 to 32 in terms of jean sizes in 3 months. I now wear braces to keep my jeans up.

Last edited by a moderator:

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Apparently it really DOES matter what type of calories they are. To put it simply, calories are from the three macronutrients - fat, carbs, protein. Fat gets used for energy pronto (the idea being it is really hard to eat excess fat - it's way too filling, and our constitutions have evolved to deal with fat as the primary energy provider). Protein - too much of it after we use the protein we need to rebuild and maintain the bod - gets turned into glucose and stored as body fat. And carbs - our darling carbs - the ol' glucose machinations we all know and don't love - in excess, gets stored as body fat, for use when there is no food around. For energy we have two 'fuel systems' - fat burning, and glucose burning, and our bodies can switch reasonably easy between the two, depending on the availability of quick-energy food - carbs.

But don't believe Taubes et al, or me, try it and see! (Hey, as T2Ds we already have tried the excess carbs part! Even if only 'fat on the inside thin on the outside' types. Not me btw - I easily ran to fat around my middle like every T2 I know...) (Yep - that dangerous belly fat for CVDs and... yes... T2D!)

Do you REALLY believe you just ate too much @SunnyExpat? ? That is why you got T2D? Why do you think you ate 'too much'? A hunger-hormone disorder? Thyroid problem? Some weird psychological problem that spurred you on to over-consume calories? Is this some unique issue humans have? (And no other animal unless we are feeding them... wait for it... excess carbs!)?

Mod edit to remove reference to religion which isn't relevant to the thread discussion.
Lots of people "eat too much", yet don't get type 2 diabetes.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Lots of people "eat too much", yet don't get type 2 diabetes.

It's certainly not unique to humans, just the humans that feed rubbish to their pets and some of these also develop diabetes.

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's certainly not unique to humans, just the humans that feed rubbish to their pets and some of these also develop diabetes.

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.
My Avatar tells me all pet food is rubbish.

Reactions: 5 people

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
My Avatar tells me all pet food is rubbish.
Lol sounds like my tuxedo cat Sasha - she would much rather eat human food than pet food!

Reactions: 3 people