LCHF

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
LCHF = Low Carbohydrate High Fat
A way of eating to control blood sugars .. keeping carbs down to a minimum and the good fats up to a healthy level.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is a diet where you avoid all high carb food / drinks. It has many advantages for diabetics. At it's simplest level, avoid all obviously starchy foods, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes. So your meals will consist of 'old fashioned breakfast' bacon, egg, mushrooms, a tomato. or maybe an omelette or boiled eggs or smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. Lunch, any old protein (meat, fish, cheese, eggs,) with green salad and oil and vinegar dressing or full fat Mayo. Dinner any meat fish cheese eggs with above ground leafy veg (cabbage, cauliflower, spinach etc). Use butter liberally, to cook and to make sauces, double cream. The key is to avoid all processed or fake food, eat when hungry and eat only until satisfied. For virtually everybody pre-diabetics or type 2, it will produce almost immediate and sustained improvements in blood glucose. For type 1s, once adjusted to it, it will result in lowering insulin doses and reduce / eliminate the worst of highs and lows of blood glucose management. If interested, sign up for the LCHF group on this forum.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
please could someone explain what this is.

Many people, myself included, follow a LCHF diet to control their diabetes. The high fat part is open to interpretation - you have to find a balance. For me it has got me off my medication. It isn't for everyone I'm told, testing your BG will help you decide.

If you decide to follow it Diet Doctor (google it) has many good recipes and useful information.

Reactions: 2 people