LCMF v LCHF

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I might be more MF than HF. In a typical day I have butter with a cheese and nut scone, salad, cheese or soup, and chicken, fish or occasionally red meat and green veg followed by small amount raspberries or dark choc. Occasionall I add in nut and seed bar or walnuts. I dont like fatty meats other than grilled bacon and I have never liked cream or yogurt. Though I did try coffee with cream for breakfast but couldnt keepit up. My main exercise is the obligatory housework and occasional walks!
My question is does that make it more difficult for me to get BG down and keep it there?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe the point of the fat content isn't so much to keep BS down (although it does help), but is to avoid hunger because it satiates us, and also to maintain energy levels that we lose when we cut carbs. If your eating plan fills you without snacking or hunger, and if your energy levels are normal, then you are eating enough fat.

Wild salmon is probably the best form of fat because of the omega 3 it contains (fresh or tinned), plus seeds. Butter and avocado are also at the top of the list because they don't cause insulin spikes.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe the point of the fat content isn't so much to keep BS down (although it does help), but is to avoid hunger because it satiates us, and also to maintain energy levels that we lose when we cut carbs. If your eating plan fills you without snacking or hunger, and if your energy levels are normal, then you are eating enough fat.

Wild salmon is probably the best form of fat because of the omega 3 it contains (fresh or tinned), plus seeds. Butter and avocado are also at the top of the list because they don't cause insulin spikes.
Thanks for that. I forgot to mention I do eat scrambled eggs and omlettes. Are eggs and nuts fats?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Also I have never felt better and have so much more energy.

Yes, eggs are full of fat, as are nuts. As your energy levels are great, and providing you aren't hungry enough to graze on snacks, you have got your fat balance right. :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that. I forgot to mention I do eat scrambled eggs and omlettes. Are eggs and nuts fats?
Depends on the nuts though.. some are more carby than others.. macadamias have loads of fat and not to many carbs (5.3%) pistachios are more carby 17% whereas peanuts (which aren't nuts at all) are better at 5.6%. Check the packaging.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends on the nuts though.. some are more carby than others.. macadamias have loads of fat and not to many carbs (5.3%) pistachios are more carby 17% whereas peanuts (which aren't nuts at all) are better at 5.6%. Check the packaging.
Plain walnuts from Lidl are my nuts of choice. When I make my seed and nut bars I use almond and peanut butter, flaked almonds, walnuts, chia seeds, sesame seeds, 1 egg, tiny amount of xylitol and tiny amount of maple syrup (I know slapped wrist but essential for mixing!). These are small, filling and can make a lunch on the run sometimes. Also I have always loved to cook cos I know what goes into stuff.
Would you be happy with that?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, eggs are full of fat, as are nuts. As your energy levels are great, and providing you aren't hungry enough to graze on snacks, you have got your fat balance right. :)
Thanks so much for that validation. Still learning! :cat:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Plain walnuts from Lidl are my nuts of choice. When I make my seed and nut bars I use almond and peanut butter, flaked almonds, walnuts, chia seeds, sesame seeds, 1 egg, tiny amount of xylitol and tiny amount of maple syrup (I know slapped wrist but essential for mixing!). These are small, filling and can make a lunch on the run sometimes. Also I have always loved to cook cos I know what goes into stuff.
Would you be happy with that?
It doesn't matter if I'd be happy with it .. you're the one eating it. I wouldn't have the maple syrup and would be checking the PB and AB to see exactly what is in it but apart from that sounds ok.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It doesn't matter if I'd be happy with it .. you're the one eating it. I wouldn't have the maple syrup and would be checking the PB and AB to see exactly what is in it but apart from that sounds ok.
Thanks @bulkbiker. I buy most nutty butter I can and as I said these are for occasional use and work out at 4 carbs each I think. :cat:

CL_in_NZ

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Everyone is different, it is what works for you that matters If you like the diet, can maintain it and are getting good results carry on and enjoy the rewards. I don't eat a lot of animal fat personally as I don't like fatty cuts of meat. I get a little fat from cream in coffee and cheese but the vast majority comes from nuts, avocado and olive oil. The nuts I eat can be on the carby side but they don't do a thing to me so I don't worry about them and more importantly for me, they have lots of calories.