Ldl on my test

Philb69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all recently had bloods tested for high cholesterol which is 5.8 down from 5.9. I know thats not good but getting better. But when i have looked online i can see trigs 1.5 and hdl 1.5. Could the ldl be called something else.

Thank you

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your total cholesterol is HDL+LDL+ 46% of the triglycerides. So you can work it out. These are UK measurements. The American ones are different. I calculate yours to be 3.6 but I am no mathematician..

Personally I see nothing wrong with your cholesterol. :)

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all recently had bloods tested for high cholesterol which is 5.8 down from 5.9. I know thats not good but getting better. But when i have looked online i can see trigs 1.5 and hdl 1.5. Could the ldl be called something else.

Thank you
Fewer people (not GPs regrettably) are worrying about LDL these days and its days of being called 'bad' cholesterol are numbered. Far more important appears to be your trigs/HDL ratio as a marker for cardiovascular risk. Yours is 1 which is fine. If yours wasn't a fasting test then your trigs would be a lower reading, and thereby a lower (= better) trigs/HDL ratio.
The significance of this ratio is that the lower the ratio the lower the number of small harmful LDL particles and the higher the number of large friendly LDL particles. So a high LDL doesn't have to be a matter of concern.
A trigs/HDL ratio of 1.3 appears to be a crossover point.
Below 1.3 = more friendly LDL
Above 1.3 = more harmful LDL
Geoff

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Philb69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Fewer people (not GPs regrettably) are worrying about LDL these days and its days of being called 'bad' cholesterol are numbered. Far more important appears to be your trigs/HDL ratio as a marker for cardiovascular risk. Yours is 1 which is fine. If yours wasn't a fasting test then your trigs would be a lower reading, and thereby a lower (= better) trigs/HDL ratio.
The significance of this ratio is that the lower the ratio the lower the number of small harmful LDL particles and the higher the number of large friendly LDL particles. So a high LDL doesn't have to be a matter of concern.
A trigs/HDL ratio of 1.3 appears to be a crossover point.
Below 1.3 = more friendly LDL
Above 1.3 = more harmful LDL
Geoff

Thanks Geoff

Pretty new to all these tests. When i went for this test I didn’t realise that I didn’t have to fast so i never ate anything for about 14 hours. Are you saying i would have had lower trigs snd better ratio all round.

Thank you

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Geoff

Pretty new to all these tests. When i went for this test I didn’t realise that I didn’t have to fast so i never ate anything for about 14 hours. Are you saying i would have had lower trigs snd better ratio all round.

Thank you

You were right to fast. Not fasting would have increased your trigs, the reason being they would all be out and about swimming in your blood stream doing their job, and this would be very noticeable if the food was fatty. The advice is to fast overnight for the usual 8 to 10 hours, water only.