Leaking Pen

purplesunsets

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I placed a new needle and gave my shot earlier and I noticed after no leaks on the site but on the pen needle. Tiny drops keep appearing so I was unsure to remove it. Usually there's a tiny speck but nothing after. Did I screw up my dosage and it'll mess with my BS? Or the pen or needle is malfunctioning? Is that normal?

I use a Novolog Flex Pen and BD Fine needle 4mm.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is possible you cross threaded the needle cap, but it's also possible for the pen to have a hair line crack - but it also sounds as though you probably didn't leave the needle in long enough? There will always be a very tiny drop on the end of the needle after a jab.

To check if it's dosing correctly put the outer needle cap on it and dial up 20u and press the plunger, the bottom of the cap should fill up to the level where it splays out..........so the theory goes.

Reactions: porl69

purplesunsets

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Wouldn't that be a waste though? The cap with 20u? It has sense but I worry it may be wasteful.

I left the needle in for 15 seconds since I only put 10u at night. The tiny drops kept on coming out after the initial one after the jab so that worried me. I changed needles and it was the same. I think the pen might be broken or leaking.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thank heavens it is not a fountain pen with ink in it!!!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wouldn't that be a waste though? The cap with 20u? It has sense but I worry it may be wasteful.

I left the needle in for 15 seconds since I only put 10u at night. The tiny drops kept on coming out after the initial one after the jab so that worried me. I changed needles and it was the same. I think the pen might be broken or leaking.

If it's continuing to expel insulin after 15 secs then the pen is duff. I'm sure it would be better to 'waste' 20u than keep injecting the wrong amount and perhaps ending up in hospital with DKA ;)

purplesunsets

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
If it's continuing to expel insulin after 15 secs then the pen is duff. I'm sure it would be better to 'waste' 20u than keep injecting the wrong amount and perhaps ending up in hospital with DKA ;)

It ended up being all good finished the pen :)