Type 1.5 Legs and hands cramps

JohnJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Trying to find an answer online but so far no joy!

For a long time now I get very painful upper thigh, toes and hands with fingers wanting to distort and lock.
Tried various variations of my insulin regime timings and I think it is caused with the Humalog I take?

Has anyone else had the same?
I take 30 units a day of Lantus and carb count to use Humalog units (average 16-20 per day). Plus 1gram twice a day of SL Metformin (for other health reasons).

Many thanks for any thoughts...

Fearless36

I know a few years back I got a doze of cramps in both my hands and legs, but went to my GP. I think it turned out that I was dehydrated. So I was told to drink tonic water (it has something in it that stops cramps) however I also ran out of it, so just drank regular water and sure enough the cramps vanished as a result. When I think back to it at the time I was drinking more tea than water prior which is probably why they showed up in my case. So that may be the same for you too. Its worth a thought.

JohnJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know a few years back I got a doze of cramps in both my hands and legs, but went to my GP. I think it turned out that I was dehydrated. So I was told to drink tonic water (it has something in it that stops cramps) however I also ran out of it, so just drank regular water and sure enough the cramps vanished as a result. When I think back to it at the time I was drinking more tea than water prior which is probably why they showed up in my case. So that may be the same for you too. Its worth a thought.

Thank you Fearless, yes it is the quinine tonic water (only one brand I have found contains correct amount and of course slimline). Also I remember we should try and drink 2 litres of water a day. GP said I had neuropathy, managed to reverse by B12.

Shall up the water intake... thanks again