Legs Pain

mosa

I work at my local restaurant, usually 8-10 hour shifts. Obviously all the work is standing making coffees, running the cash register, or cleaning.

This summer I also am looking to log some solid summer miles in the 50 mpw range. I have noticed however that my legs and especially feet get incredibly tired after a day's work.

I'm hoping that I'll get used to the constant standing and that it won't negatively effect my running. Anyone else work an active job and run high mileage? Does it negatively effect performance and recovery? Any ideas on how to cope?

Last edited:
D

Deleted Account

I don’t have an active job but I walk a lot and often do 50mpw.
If I am wearing the right shoes, I do not get tired legs or feet. Shoes make a big difference.

mosa

Hi helensaramay, when you say I am wearing the right shoes, what exactly do you think? Some adequate performance of shoes or something else?

D

Deleted Account

Hi helensaramay, when you say I am wearing the right shoes, what exactly do you think? Some adequate performance of shoes or something else?
I mean some shoes are comfortable for standing and walking. Some are not.
An extreme example would be a pair of stilettos is likely to cause some pain to a model doing a couple of lengths of a catwalk.
But even a pair of poorly fitting trainers could be painful.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi and welcome @mosa,
I walk for exercise and with heavyish loads of shopping. Hard surfaces are the worst to walk on so where I can I would walk on the softest surfaces. Not helpful for work but maybe for your exercise walking.
Before rushing out and getting a pair of shoes, you might wish to check what shoes you are allowed to wear at work. And you might need to check what work regulations there are about shoe wear so that you know your rights. Being diabetic also comes into that equation as any demand for you having to wear shoe wear that could endanger the health of your feet is unacceptable.You may end up with two different pairs of shoes, one for work and the other for longer walking.
I did lots of walking at work and wore a good pair of work shoes with well padded sole. A proper shoe fitting helped ensure a shoe is suitable for any particularity in my walk ( in rolling, out rolling etc)
For walking longer distances I went to a reputable camping/hiking shop and found the best boots on special. I would walk around on the carpet of the store in both boots, in two pairs of not too bulky socks having first established that I could squeeze two fingerwidths in between my heel and the back inside of the boot. The idea of the two socks was that one sock slides inside or outside the other. Better that the socks rub and wear than the skin of my feet does. And I would walk around until I felt my feet had expanded. I would also consider adding in a silastic cushion (available at my chemist) to cushion my heel better. Of course the cushion may change the shoe size. If the shoe is too long it might drag and trip me or cause me to raise my feet more and tire me.
It all sounds complicated but your feet deserve the best of care.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi and welcome @mosa,
I walk for exercise and with heavyish loads of shopping. Hard surfaces are the worst to walk on so where I can I would walk on the softest surfaces. Not helpful for work but maybe for your exercise walking.
Before rushing out and getting a pair of shoes, you might wish to check what shoes you are allowed to wear at work. And you might need to check what work regulations there are about shoe wear so that you know your rights. Being diabetic also comes into that equation as any demand for you having to wear shoe wear that could endanger the health of your feet is unacceptable.You may end up with two different pairs of shoes, one for work and the other for longer walking.
I did lots of walking at work and wore a good pair of work shoes with well padded sole. A proper shoe fitting helped ensure a shoe is suitable for any particularity in my walk ( in rolling, out rolling etc)
For walking longer distances I went to a reputable camping/hiking shop and found the best boots on special. I would walk around on the carpet of the store in both boots, in two pairs of not too bulky socks having first established that I could squeeze two fingerwidths in between my heel and the back inside of the boot. The idea of the two socks was that one sock slides inside or outside the other. Better that the socks rub and wear than the skin of my feet does. And I would walk around until I felt my feet had expanded. I would also consider adding in a silastic cushion (available at my chemist) to cushion my heel better. Of course the cushion may change the shoe size. If the shoe is too long it might drag and trip me or cause me to raise my feet more and tire me.
It all sounds complicated but your feet deserve the best of care.
PS I note that some diabetics do better with exercise and easing leg aches by taking magnesium supplements. I cannot advise their use but suggest you contact your doctor about such thoughts.

mosa

I mean some shoes are comfortable for standing and walking. Some are not.
An extreme example would be a pair of stilettos is likely to cause some pain to a model doing a couple of lengths of a catwalk.
But even a pair of poorly fitting trainers could be painful.
Yes good example now I see what you thought but my shoes for work are quite comfortable, for the first few hours everything is ok but as time passes there is a pain that gets stronger...

mosa

PS I note that some diabetics do better with exercise and easing leg aches by taking magnesium supplements. I cannot advise their use but suggest you contact your doctor about such thoughts.
Hi kitedoc thank you very much for sharing your personal experience and I mean this can be really useful also I think we get something new magnesium supplements also has a big impact on fatigue.
I would also suggest that perhaps we can expand the topic, maybe some exercises can help relieve pain and speed recovery or some stretching exercises I think it also has a big impact beside shoes and supplements (magnesium)...

xTomomi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tory party, Injustice, Snakes, Slugs,
I work at my local restaurant, usually 8-10 hour shifts. Obviously all the work is standing making coffees, running the cash register, or cleaning.

Any ideas on how to cope?

I whole heartedly recommend DR Marten shoes to stand in at work, they are smart for a restaurant job, and have cushioned soles (just dont step on any drawing pins) .. i had various standing jobs and these shoes made 100% difference, making it much easier to stand up.

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and my personal inabilities.
Dr Martens shoes or boots are very very comfortable and a little bit left field but Epsom bath salts, I have found, are great for soaking away aches and pains of that nature and they contain magnesium which must contribute, hope to help.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi kitedoc thank you very much for sharing your personal experience and I mean this can be really useful also I think we get something new magnesium supplements also has a big impact on fatigue.
I would also suggest that perhaps we can expand the topic, maybe some exercises can help relieve pain and speed recovery or some stretching exercises I think it also has a big impact beside shoes and supplements (magnesium)...
Yes, @mosa,
That sounds very feasible. I am not that au fait with the correct stretches etc. But others may know what the best recommendations are.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Epsom salts in warm water are great. Instant relief. So are Brookes shoes ... would not wear anything else

UbleyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I had to stand or walk for long hours while working I found it really helpful to have two different pairs of shoes so that I could change footwear as soon as my feet felt tired. I would do this several times a day and found it really helped. Also, I make sure that my shoes all have good supportive insoles, to support the arch of your foot, available from a chemist. If you can afford it get proper running shoes professionally fitted as opposed to normal trainers, they make a lot of difference.

Reactions: kitedoc

teasytux

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

This summer I also am looking to log some solid summer miles in the 50 mpw range. I have noticed however that my legs and especially feet get incredibly tired after a day's work.

I'm hoping that I'll get used to the constant standing and that it won't negatively effect my running. Anyone else work an active job and run high mileage? Does it negatively effect performance and recovery? Any ideas on how to cope?
Hi Mosa,

Sorry to hear of your leg/feet pain.

I've been type1, 46 of 47 years & due to my painful leg\foot Neuropathy ( affecting both), I can understand the tiresome pain you feel! I switched my shoes to Dr Keller, which are cushioned & very reasonably priced. These cushioned footwear have helped with my heel pain when standing & walking & extremely bad leg pain. Maybe they could help you too?

Good luck!

Regards Tux

Reactions: kitedoc